• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This seems odd, oil all over motor(pics)

B
Jan 20, 2009
Went to clean up my 09 m8 with 350 miles and I noticed there seemed to be lots of oil on the outside of the motor, Only mods are y-pipe and can, could the Y-pipe be leaking maybe?

M8oil 001.jpg M8oil 002.jpg M8oil 003.jpg M8oil 004.jpg M8oil 005.jpg

S
Jan 6, 2009
yes your y pipe is leaking.I had the same thing on my 07 m8.mine was leaking from the flange and exhaust donut,yours looks like it is also leaking from both the flange and donut .I cleaned everything up and reassembled it with a bit of high temp red.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Sure looks like the gaskets between the cylinders and the y pipe are leaking. Use some ultra copper silicone when putting it back together after getting the surfaces very clean...

B
Nov 26, 2007
Moxee WA
Oiler sticking

Mine is doing the same thing, I tried the sealer just like suggested but no dice. Yours is doing the same as mine and a few others on here. Your oiler is stuck half open. You can see it in one of your pictures. There seems to be a problem with them sticking this year. Sometimes I can blip the throttle and get it to return, other times it just sticks and uses a ton of oil. Let me guess, your using oil like mad? I was burning like 25:1 when it sticks, and Im getting oil all over the place.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Mine is doing the same thing, I tried the sealer just like suggested but no dice. Yours is doing the same as mine and a few others on here. Your oiler is stuck half open. You can see it in one of your pictures. There seems to be a problem with them sticking this year. Sometimes I can blip the throttle and get it to return, other times it just sticks and uses a ton of oil. Let me guess, your using oil like mad? I was burning like 25:1 when it sticks, and Im getting oil all over the place.

Even if that is the case, the oil would go out the end of the pipe if everything was sealed up like it should be. You are either leaking at the cylinders, or out the dounut. It's great that you found a problem with the oiler and need to fix that, but you still need to seal your exhaust leak as well.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Appretiace your help Bones1075 but does anyone else think my oil pump is stuck half open? Just lookin for a second oppinion because if it is i'm taking it to my cat dealer(which is 30 min away) Tried to get a better pic. Thanks! also would the cat dealer need to take my Y-pipe and pipe and everything off to change the oil pump? If so i'll just leave all of it off

M8oilpump 001.jpg

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Sounds like you got it fixed. Just thought I would add another problem spot for future onlookers. Check the oring at the top of the power valve right where the cables come out. Had this thing wear out a couple of times. Once its gone it speckles oil all over exhaust and hood. Only takes a min to change and you can clean up the power valves while your there.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Would the oil pump sticking cause the oil to be around the motor? It would have less oil coming out if the exhaust with it working properly right?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Moxee WA
If your using the amount of oil that I'm using it will eventually blow out around your donut. I replaced the Donut and used the correct A/C approved sealant and I still get oil splatter. If I was using the correct amount of oil I would not have residual oil blowing all over, it should burn up. Most Y-pipe to pipe connections wont completely seal off anyway, until you reach operating temp. I have talked to the dealer and a couple of local racers and they both agree its the oil comsumption not the seal that causing the oil blowby in my situation.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have had the same leak on my 07. Last time I had it apart I sealed it with RVT. Not the best but it does work until you take it apart to change plugs or something.

What I have seen others doing is running eight springs. One extra on each post. Holds it much tighter.

Thunder

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Your warranty should cover this i had to take mine back a few times but they solved the problem now it leakes no more, looks like its your y pipe they may or may not cover this up to the dealer if they installed the y pipe it should'nt be a issue.

Last edited:
Premium Features