• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This is SnoWest?

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks to all for joining in. I see the cost factor as much less impact than the increased moderating of a few years ago, and even less of a factor than Facebook. Until recently, those of us without face book could watch the videos on the weekly email. Tried again tonight on this week's missive--still nothing but a message telling me I can't view it.
The paraphrased rest of the message is, "but you are welcome to allow us to follow your every move across virtually every platform you may use, to increase our profit with no return to you, and perhaps even to your detriment, if you really want to see this.". No thanks, I don't want a bigger digital footprint. That's akin to wishing for a bigger waist or bigger spouse.

I'm guessing it's a different Scott
. Its either that, or I forgot the name of the Wyoming youngster that caught so much flak when this site was untamed.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
This is very true, seems like the guys who want to ask oil/can/wrap questions have migrated to Facebook. Im a member of a ton of groups on FB but have all notifications off as it just gets completely out of control. It is TOO easy for people to comment and just nonsensical people chimming in with very little productive help to be found.

The guys left here all have a lot of good information and the quality of discussion has greatly increased over the last few years. Like you said, much less huffing, puffing and bashing, etc. Although things are a little on the slower side, i do enjoy the forum a lot more then FB groups that is for sure.

You meen like these types. ?

Screenshot_20200102-195544_Facebook.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Thanks to all for joining in. I see the cost factor as much less impact than the increased moderating of a few years ago, and even less of a factor than Facebook. Until recently, those of us without face book could watch the videos on the weekly email. Tried again tonight on this week's missive--still nothing but a message telling me I can't view it.
The paraphrased rest of the message is, "but you are welcome to allow us to follow your every move across virtually every platform you may use, to increase our profit with no return to you, and perhaps even to your detriment, if you really want to see this.". No thanks, I don't want a bigger digital footprint. That's akin to wishing for a bigger waist or bigger spouse.

. Its either that, or I forgot the name of the Wyoming youngster that caught so much flak when this site was untamed.

Talking about, maybe Wyoming T/A ?

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Seems to be the forum changed a lot when all the different manufacturers sub-forums and now model sub-forums emerged and when it became pay to play (which lifetime was cheap).
When it was all under "Mountain" it was a lot more entertaining to see what all was going on with everyone. Now I just watch the sub-forums that pertain to the sleds I ride which really limits the interactions with guys riding other brands and models. I do like to be able to only look at a sub-forum that is what I ride, but it is a different vibe. FB groups are fine, but the same stupid questions are asked over and over and guys post the same thing in like 3 FB groups which is super annoying and clogs my feeds.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I never was a mass-thread contributor but I definitely liked the older version of the system prior to the addition of all the extra sub-categories. A huge drop in my input on the forum was the fact that I used to have a desk job, fast computer, sleds in the garage, racing and mods to talk about, stuff to sell, etc.... My current situation is void of all of that which I hope changes back someday. There is still a ton of useful information being shared if you find it, but as times change so do lots of other things with technology. I hate crackbook in all it's 'glory' even though I still have an active profile. The user groups on there are ridiculous though. This will always be my first go to for anything I need relevant to snowmobiling.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I remember in about 06 when we all began asking for the 6 or 7 forum categories to be broken up into more categories and sub categories.

It was the request of the users.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think it started to sour when it went pay-to-play. BCR and other avenues popped up quickly with soured users.

Something else to consider is the ability of the manufacturers to build a "custom" sled right out of the box and there aren't as many build threads like there used to be requiring parts and info. Now, pick up your snow check and run OEM oil and premium gas.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The problem I have is that using tapatalk has cut down my forum time significantly. I have 6 different forums on there and I honestly only scroll thru the ones I'm subscribed to or have a reply to one of my comments. Otherwise I only go on the forums when I'm looking for info(1010 single pipe questions, anyone have answers?)
Or like today, I'm at work, been here for 5hrs and answered one phone call and had one customer. I'm waiting for SX to start while I watch snocross on the livestream. Figured I'd come hang out here for the day and see if I missed anything. if you look in the member builds you can see I've been reading those threads mostly. Just briefly clicked on General cuz I was unsure of any new content.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
And I do a lot of Facebook stuff, it's not all bad, you just don't have to read or comment on everything. I rarely post to topics that have more than 10 replies and almost never ever post to the "lets see your sled" ones. That's stupid. Plus I plaster my stuff on the internet a lot so I'm always thinking people have seen my crap millions of times anyways. Messenger chats are way more fun, EVERYONE SHOULD TRY IT.

For fun why doesn't someone make a snowest group and see how many old timers join up. I'm always up for some NMFH ribbing and looter memes...

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
The Snowest email came out, and once again the only threads on the most active list have to do with Arctic Cat. I suppose this thread didn't even register on the scale. The fact everyone is posting on Arctic Cat has two possibilities-- the new ones are the next Dragon with sloppy piston fit and electronic demons, or the next Skidoo Revs susceptible to major damage from pine cones.

Reeb, I wondered what happened to you. Thanks for 'splainin'.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Snowest email came out, and once again the only threads on the most active list have to do with Arctic Cat. I suppose this thread didn't even register on the scale. The fact everyone is posting on Arctic Cat has two possibilities-- the new ones are the next Dragon with sloppy piston fit and electronic demons, or the next Skidoo Revs susceptible to major damage from pine cones.

Reeb, I wondered what happened to you. Thanks for 'splainin'.
So a little explanation.
Each day the forum tallies up...
Total Number of Views per Post.
Total Number of Replies per post
Total number of Reactions per post.

Those three things then determine the TOP POSTS for the day and the week.
Those numbers are 100% member driven.

What would you have me change??

Premium Features