• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat Question

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Riding my KK after two years sitting Sat (injurys) about 15 miles motor overheated and locked up, after cooling down, we could not figure out why it was getting hot, got it running again (after cooling down) went another couple miles locked up again, pulled the Thermostat and it was broke in half shutting off flow, ended up loosing a piston and cylinder and a tow out, my question is how many of you run without thermostat, I no it would be very inportant to get it warmed up so not to have a cold seziure, is it worth the risk $50.00 for a new thermostat, any imput would be appreciated also off hand what are the torgue specks on the cylinder and heads and cylinders, Thanks MADDOGWFO

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I haven't tried it to know for sure but I have been told that it will run hotter without a thermostat because the coolant flows through the system too fast to get cooled down. Sounds weird but maybe you need the stat in there to slow down the flow.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
If you are going to run without a thermostat, you need to put some sort of restrictor in its place. Can be as simple as a small plate with a 5/8-3/4 inch or so hole in it. The reason being is there needs to be a differetial pressure between the engine and coolers, to both prevent pump cavitation and prevent coolant from trying to boil within the engine itself.

B

Biglizard1

Feb 15, 2010
Baker City
yup, had a similar experience when my thermostat failed. couldnt figure out why i kept overheating. pulled the t stat and locked open. replaced...no problems now

Premium Features