• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The reason for all the 08-09 800 burn-downs??

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
IF it is the cooling sytem, then shouldn't it be all of them. I'd like to know what sleds have went down and with what mods. I'll start, 2008 700 rmk 155" HPS can, 19t gear, clutched, coated pipe and y-pipe, front heat exchanger removed, all the foam removed, panel and shock tower vents, went down with 2000 miles on it. Lets see it there are things in common with the ones that have went down(fuel box or no fuel box).

Great Idea you should start a new thread and list the format so everyone who lost one can enter thier info

Rab, I think there is already one of those threads going on. You might do a little search for it. Or maybe it was a thread for sleds that did not go down (or both?)

And dollyllama, not to bash, but this is an 800 thread, but your sled is a 700? While I would not be super-happy with it "going down" at 2000 miles, I know guys who used to replace pistons every 1000-1500 miles in their hi-performance 2-stroke engines, especially with hard mountain riding... cheap insurance... assuming that is what went wrong on yours. I guess I am saying while that might be on the low side of expected miles, it is going to break some time right? If it happens under warranty, you are golden, but once I am out of warranty, and the miles start racking up, then I start keeping a closer eye on stuff, pull the y-pipe and check the pistons once in a while, check chaincase bearings and idler bearings, that kind of stuff.

Doesn't matter if it is the "bullet-proof" 700 (my wife has one of those BTW), I would still do that once it is out of warranty. I know that is no guarantee but it helps. I would rather spot a problem early (like replace pistons) before it becomes something bigger (like drop a piston skirt and crack crankcase or seize up). Just sayin. :D

D
I smell what you're stepping in. The shop said it went lean and burned down and just thought that sounded a lot like what was going on with 8's. Mine is just probably one of those kind of sleds with the luck I have. Sorry I'll stay out.:D

Have you not read about all the other issues? Even with 2 ring pistons, the v.r. still frys the ECU and I will guarantee that I could burn my sled down with them. Stick to reading some more before posting.:rolleyes:

Uh retract the claws there breezey...Yeah actually I did read the entire thread...I wasn't asking if that was the only reason for them burning down... I just asked if anyone else had heard that theory. Maybe you should try being a little less male chauvinist-like

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Uh retract the claws there breezey...Yeah actually I did read the entire thread...I wasn't asking if that was the only reason for them burning down... I just asked if anyone else had heard that theory. Maybe you should try being a little less male chauvinist-like

If you have read all of the polaris threads over the last couple of months, you would see that it has been talked about repeatedly. Excuse me for not having patience for stuff that has already discussed, especially when I can't ride my sled because it's down for parts. :rolleyes: Where did the chauvinist part come in? Just because qween is in your name I didn't assume you were female, I made my post based on your comment not sex.
If I had the claws out, I would have slapped you with a chitload of red.

If you have read all of the polaris threads over the last couple of months, you would see that it has been talked about repeatedly. Excuse me for not having patience for stuff that has already discussed, especially when I can't ride my sled because it's down for parts. :rolleyes: Where did the chauvinist part come in? Just because qween is in your name I didn't assume you were female, I made my post based on your comment not sex.
If I had the claws out, I would have slapped you with a chitload of red.

Sorry don't have time to sit on my computer and read all of the Polaris threads for hours on end. Just saw this one at the top of the list and decided to read it. I just was trying to find an answer to a small, simple question....I have a life outside of staring at my computer and getting my panties in a knot because someone new to this forum asks a simple question that could have been simply and answered without being rude. I'm new to this whole thing so cut a fellow rider some slack. Furthermore its not my fault that your sled is broke so don't unload your pent up frustrations on me. As for your chitload of red, if you're into that kind of thing, I'm not one to judge but you might want to get some help. No need to continue taking up space with this this pi$**ng contest, I'll stay out of your way from now on. Please forgive me for my transgressions, oh mighty lord Skibreeze of snowest forum :rolleyes:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I am glad to see someone else lost power after the reflash no one seems to know any thing about it when I asked.

Well I got it back today, and put on about 30 miles. I'm liking this flash so far. The mid range seems to be totally fixed, I anyway wasn't feeling the bog anymore, it'll show after some more miles, and when i'm not running pre mix anymore how well it will really run. Power loss, I felt NONE. Sled ripped today. Straight up and down on the bumper for a good 100 yards on set up spring snow. Has never ran so hard before. If it wakes up as much after I'm done premixing the gas as it did last time, it'll will be a complete riot to ride. I could get it to bog on the top end though. If I sat and had it idling for a few min, it would bog for a while on top end after. I'm thinking may be from the excess oil? But over all I like the new reflash, felt good. But, after those 30 miles I snapped my chain. :mad: No idea why it would snap. Just got on the gas to try for another nice wheelie and BOOM, some nice grinding sounds, then it stopped. I was hard on the throttle when it snapped, but the chain should be made to hold up to that power. I know of a guy here who had gone through two chains already this winter on his 09 D8. Really odd.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I smell what you're stepping in. The shop said it went lean and burned down and just thought that sounded a lot like what was going on with 8's. Mine is just probably one of those kind of sleds with the luck I have. Sorry I'll stay out.:D
700 went lean and burned down, huh? I would be annoyed to put it mildly, and it does sound like some of the 800's problems. Not much you can do to foresee that, and with CFI how can you guarantee it won't happen again without throwing big $$ at the electronics... ECMs and regulators anyone...:mad:

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Well I've read the whole thread. I sold my T-Nytro and was seriously looking at an 800 Dragon.bbbbuuuuutttt,I think if I make the switch it will be to cat. Has anyone tried always running a little oil in the gas,,,like EVERY tank? just for some insurance.(I ALWAYS did this on every sled I've had even my BB 835 Viper 194hp on the dynotech dyno) Is there snow dust from following people or submerging it getting into the intake system?.Also does the belt that runs the water pump also run the oil pump???Anyone checked for issues there be nice if the solution was something simple best of luck guys

IMG_0513.jpg Black Nytro MCX 015.jpg My new toy.jpg Black Nytro MCX 003.jpg Black Nytro MCX 007.jpg Black Nytro MCX 014.jpg

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'm not a moderator on here, but it's not like us to not get along with each other. We've all had the written word misinterpreted. I consider everyone on here a friend and we are all in the same boat with Polaris.
I know we get sick of seeing the same thing over and over again. It's just like the "which oil to use threads" :p Those of us that have been on here quite a while will be better informed and can better answer questions for the newb's. Which is why they joined snowest. To be involved in the best source of snowmobile information.
And I certainly know how frustrating this crap with Polaris is. Many of you went through this last year as well. Only to find that not only did they not fix the problem, but made it worse. Keep your fingers crossed that they figure it out. If not maybe they can cut us all a check for a fuel controller. :rolleyes: I hear there may be a couple aftermarket "FIX" options for next season as well.
Cheers everyone. :beer;

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
yeah, you really need to watch the chains. they can stretch a lot when new and if you don't check it, it will get sloppy and break. with the latest flash the mid range and top end is way better but there is still a stumble in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the throttle. but over all much, much better than the horrible bog on the top end that it had before. way too rich before, better now. we will see what polaris offers for a fix this summer.

and sorry, there is no easy fix to the issues that some are having. everything you mentioned has been tried plus much more extensive attempts.

pv

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
Sorry don't have time to sit on my computer and read all of the Polaris threads for hours on end. Just saw this one at the top of the list and decided to read it. I just was trying to find an answer to a small, simple question....I have a life outside of staring at my computer and getting my panties in a knot because someone new to this forum asks a simple question that could have been simply and answered without being rude. I'm new to this whole thing so cut a fellow rider some slack. Furthermore its not my fault that your sled is broke so don't unload your pent up frustrations on me. As for your chitload of red, if you're into that kind of thing, I'm not one to judge but you might want to get some help. No need to continue taking up space with this this pi$**ng contest, I'll stay out of your way from now on. Please forgive me for my transgressions, oh mighty lord Skibreeze of snowest forum :rolleyes:
EXCELLENT POST!!!!

Most of the sledders on this sight are A OK, but there are always a few HARD xxx IDIOTS:mad:.

Many top level performance shops and many other top sled tuners will not post on Internet sights such as SnoWest and HCS because of a few HARD xxx IDIOTS:mad:.

It's great to see a intelligent lady sledder posting a good question and then an excellent reply back to a hard xxx.
Have a great summer; Rich:)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
EXCELLENT POST!!!!

Most of the sledders on this sight are A OK, but there are always a few HARD xxx IDIOTS:mad:.

Many top level performance shops and many other top sled tuners will not post on Internet sights such as SnoWest and HCS because of a few HARD xxx IDIOTS:mad:.

It's great to see a intelligent lady sledder posting a good question and then an excellent reply back to a hard xxx.
Have a great summer; Rich:)

Are you hitting on her, trying to get laid? Good question.... Ya what ever, people have been asking about the single ring pistons since Doo started using them. The 1 ring doesn't cause a motor to go lean. People are still asking stupid questions about the failures. No it's not single rings causing the failures. Nor is it just from bad gas, or ethanol, or piston clearance,or oil, or just a midrange issue. There are stator failures causing burndowns, voltage regulaters causing burndowns, and a fuel pump assembly causing burndowns. There are multiple reasons for the burndowns. If it was that simple, Polaris would have had it handled last year, and I won't believe they have it totally handled until I can put 3,000 miles on my sled w/ a failure. At the current rate, that would be another 8 pistons.

Call me a hard *** all you want, I don't give 2 ****s. Your opinion doesn't mean jack.

BTW we're still riding so have a good summer yourself.

I
Oct 18, 2008
Leduc AB
I just dropped off both 08 D8 & 09 D8 at cycle works for this same problem the answer they gave me is. There is a problem with the pistion rings + oring that is harder then cylinder walls and this is causing all the problems. I have been told that I will not see etheir sled until the fall due new parts that are on back order. I guess I will be bring them the tarps to. Anway you look at it I hope this problem will be fixed as they due kick hard.

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
Are you hitting on her, trying to get laid? Good question.... Ya what ever, people have been asking about the single ring pistons since Doo started using them. The 1 ring doesn't cause a motor to go lean. People are still asking stupid questions about the failures. No it's not single rings causing the failures. Nor is it just from bad gas, or ethanol, or piston clearance,or oil, or just a midrange issue. There are stator failures causing burndowns, voltage regulaters causing burndowns, and a fuel pump assembly causing burndowns. There are multiple reasons for the burndowns. If it was that simple, Polaris would have had it handled last year, and I won't believe they have it totally handled until I can put 3,000 miles on my sled w/ a failure. At the current rate, that would be another 8 pistons.

Call me a hard *** all you want, I don't give 2 ****s. Your opinion doesn't mean jack.

BTW we're still riding so have a good summer yourself.
Skibreeze you appear to be very sharp person, but a little short to a few folks.
I do have to say you do know two stroke engines, especially the many problems with the 08 & 09 D8's.
You had listed most of the D8's CFI issues, design and Q.C..

I think that the biggest problem with the CFI 4 injector system is that low to mid rpm injector in the cylinder boost port does not cool the piston and crankcase with fuel. Then hotter engine, heat soaked faster, loose HP and can burn down easier.

The other big problem with the Polaris CFI 4 system is poor quality control of CFI components. Also lack of quality control on installation, especially the TPS setting and oil injection pump set-ups!

My 09 600 CFI 4 Switchback had the TPS voltage set too high, caused a lean bog, poor low end performance engine, back-fired through muffler in warm conditions. Also the PTO side runs a little rich, MAG side is very lean, injector flow varies a lot, lucky engine did not burn down!

The main reason I like the new CFI 2 injector system is that the fuel is injected into the crankcase, cools the crankcase and pistons much better then Poo's and Doo's old SDI 4 injector system that inject fuel above the piston, less crankcase and piston cooling. Then more burn downs, less HP due to heat soaked engines.

Has Polaris tested a 800cc CFI 2 injector system to reduce piston heat????

Last spring Polaris asked the top mod engine builder to analyze the 800 CFI, suggest improvements. he declined because they just wanted more free advice, no $, also he does not like the 800 CFI big twin on a small block crankcase.
Very hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

He did state last summer that the D8's exhaust port was too square, hard on hot single ring pistons. Also the big hot exhaust valve blocked coolant flow on the exhaust side of cylinder.

I think I will take Meathead's suggestion, plug the exhaust valve hoses to solenoid to allow exhaust valves to open sooner, cooler piston and improved performance. I can feel a very large power surge at 7000 rpm, from the SLP pipe on my 600 S.B. or power valves opening too late?

I have not asked any of my very good sources to confirm, but Polaris with Mer's Orbital will/must have all of the 08 & 09 D8's problems fixed!!!

If Poo has a 2011 800 "CFI 2" engine in a 136" Switchback, it will be my next sled!!!
Good luck, Poo CFI 4 folks; Rich

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Good post Rich, As most realize, there are so many issues with this motor that it's not funny anymore. I feel for the guys missing out on months of riding over this B.S. Luckily UPS delivered a piston to me on friday, so I'll be able to get mine back together again tomorrow. Riding the backup sled sucks, especially when it was as deep as it was today.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Been DOWN since Feb 28th! more cyliunders coming in this week. First rebuild didnt even get out the shop door!

Did they just put on a new top end? That's what my problem was, and I kept scuffing pistons. It wasn't "fixed" until the v.r. and ECU was replaced. I'll be up and running again for this w/e, but only because I bought a backup top end earlier. I won't get parts from Polaris until mid month. I will also have a new fuel pump assy, so we'll see if that fixes the lean out while climbing.

Premium Features