• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thanks Indy Dan

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
No problem, us SD boys gotta look out for each other. :D

If someone can remember the the general timeline that the DET sensor thread and any other threads were hot topics I will try to find them. I missed out on some of these great topics that you guys talk about. :(

If you guys want a copy of the Team clutch thread, I suggest you print it off. I'm working on a way right now to save it in a PDF so that we can all have an electronic copy. Sooner or later the link that I provided will die though. They only keep archives for so long. I want to have a bunch of the good threads in a PDF.

Last edited:
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Gee, sorry for inconveniencing you, I am at work keeping oil flowing out of the ground so everyone on this forum can put gasoline in their toys.

Supplicate - to pray humbly; make humble and earnest entreaty or petition. You are not living up to your screen name.
and in the time it took you to come up with this oh-so-witty retort, you could have read through several threads found in a search.

And if you are an operator, :rolleyes: please. Like your job is that friggen hard, those of us that actually work out in the field are the ones with a hard job (which you wouldn't have since you are on the foum while working in the patch).

edit:

and I don't know about you guys, but using the "Way Back Machine" you generally can only find the first two pages of any topic. It really was quite a bad deal that the SW archives were purged every 9 months or so, its amazing how much info they deleted.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If someone can remember the the general timeline that the DET sensor thread and any other threads were hot topics I will try to find them.

I dont remember if it was last winter, or the winter before. It was in the last couple years I believe. It was a good tuning thread, really a thinker, and some good humor too...

One of the Yammi guys one here used to have really good informative posts too... Think his forum name was Hammer? Might be summ'n to search too. I tried to do a search and couldnt find squat on anything... I cant even get it to give any search results.

Last edited:
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
One of the Yammi guys one here used to have really good informative posts too... Think his forum name was Hammer? Might be summ'n to search too. I tried to do a search and couldnt find squat on anything... I cant even get it to give any search results.
YammerHammer, then later just Hammer IIRC.

Shortstop, if you could find the threads posted by mountainhorse about the 900RMK setup those ones are goldmines of info as well.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Shortstop.... can you coach me through searching for some of the threads, so you dont end up being the thread finding beeeatttchhh..... ;)

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Glen, my main concern,.

If your a crazy weight changer and you jump around to all different brands of drive clutch weights then the belt clearance has to be checked EVERY time you jump ship.

My advice to the novice clutch tuner..........pick a brand of clutch weight and STAY with it............if this surprises you then your a novice.

If you check and adjust your belt clearance everytime you change weights then you are no average tuner.

changing styles and brand clutch weights in high HP sleds is for EXPERTS ONLY!!!!!

800 cc and above you should stay with OEM weights period. ( unless your an expert ).

My prefered drive clutch belt clearance is ZERO to a brand new belt ( the belt I am going to be running NOT one with the same part number ) belt runs vary in width and length.

I shim to the narrowest part of the belt I can find then I do NOT let the sled idle until the belt is broke -in and wide part is woren off.

And scrub your belts in HOT soapy water with a brass brush until it starts to look alittle white and all the loose black compound is gone.

If you have never scrubbed a belt, You should try it and see how much better then work and last ( AND ) how much cleaner your clutches stay.

I have said this same thing many times.

Best to do a search and see if you can find clutch threads and read them.

with todays high HP sleds, 95% of the people are totally in the dark about belt care and clutch set-up.

And, if you have ever blowne a belt on a sled your clutch set-up is either wrong or your running the belt to many miles.

If a belt is Blowen on one of my torque master bottom-ends I will know it the second I take it apart and the warranty will be void.

When you blow a belt on a 800 at WOT or close to wide open throttle the crank flexs and the center seal hub hits the case and the crank is most likely now bent.

You heard me right, if you blow a belt on an 800 Polaris it most likely is now bent.

Engine heat soaking & Drive clutch set-up and belt care are the most things you can do to todays high output motors.

Dan

Thanks for the reply,

I've been scrubbing my belts for couple of years now, like you say, it helps to keep some of the black crap off the clutches. Also, been checking crank run-out regularly looking for any increases, it's been sitting steady at .0013". Only had to change weights once, checked belt clearance then and left it alone, clutch is still tight, not enough miles to be wore out. I've always warmed up my machine good before riding it but just started doing the heat soaking thing this year for good measure.

So for now I'm keeping my eye on the dial indicator and my fingers crossed..........;):beer;

Glen

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
I dont remember if it was last winter, or the winter before. It was in the last couple years I believe. It was a good tuning thread, really a thinker, and some good humor too...

SHORT do a search for anything with outlaw addict and the word dial a jet and you will find all the good ones.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Dual Dial a Jets are the best invention since sliced bread.....

LMAO... ***ger.

BTW.... I got my questioned answered about 3 am last night. It was on page 5-6 of the thread. I dont remember his forum name, but his name was Jon, and he answered it perfectly and the little light came on......

ohhhhhh and how many dial-a-jets you gotta run to get 400hp???? I'm thinking quad dial-a-jets for my next little project...

Think we need some Dial-a-Jet Factory Sponsorship....:D:D

Last edited:
T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
LMAO... ***ger.

BTW.... I got my questioned answered about 3 am last night. It was on page 5-6 of the thread. I dont remember his forum name, but his name was Jon, and he answered it perfectly and the little light came on......

ohhhhhh and how many dial-a-jets you gotta run to get 400hp???? I'm thinking quad dial-a-jets for my next little project...

Had to be the fastest backpeddle ever on that thread. oh ya and your welcome.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
The Team clutch thread archive only goes back 7 pages. Any ideas on how to get more?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dan,

This Comment....
You heard me right, if you blow a belt on an 800 Polaris it most likely is now bent.

Is this for the last series Big Block (Pre 2008) 800 engines or does it include the new 800's in the 2008/09's.... you may be scaring the pizz out of some peeps on here if you only mean the former

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've seen stock BRAND NEW sleds with side clearance that is wayyyyyyy off...

As much as .060" when it is supposed to be at .020" on a new sled....

Worth it to read the thread posted by RON on the P-85 recently....

If you buy a new sled, go to the budget auto store and buy a feeler gauge to check your belt clearance on the primary. Many dealers dont check this... do it before you sign the papers for the sled taking final delivery. Easy to get the dealer to fix it at this point rather than later when it may be in the Gray-zone of "wear n Tear".

Premium Features