• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thanks Indy Dan

H
Dec 2, 2007
baker city , OR
This was the first weekend on my new billet crank for my 900 05 polaris. I have the slp performance on it but I'm running crank shop twin pipes. Dan's workman ship on the crank was top of the line. It took care of most of the vibration, it has less vibration then my buddies 800. You do have to remember that this is a stroker motor. It got ride of the zing that it had, it is a steady torque pull. I would recommend that every one get the torque master crank for there sled. It looks like it would hold up to any thing you can do to a sled.
When a person pulls an engine on a 900 and you put it back together and it runs crappy check the wiring harness. I broke some wires moving it around.

Thanks again Indy dan

Last edited:
M
Jan 19, 2008
IndyDan

I have a 05 900 that I have been trying to sell. If I can't sell it I was thinking about sending the crank to you but thought I should find out if you use a different crank or true up the old one? Whats the cost? I have read nothing but good from your products.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
This was the first weekend on my new billet crank for my 900 05 polaris. I have the slp performance on it but I'm running crank shop twin pipes. Dan's workman ship on the crank was top of the line. It took care of most of the vibration, it has less vibration then my buddies 800. You do have to remember that this is a stroker motor. It got ride of the zing that it had, it is a steady torque pull. I would recommend that every one get the torque master crank for there sled. It looks like it would hold up to any thing you can do to a sled.
When a person pulls an engine on a 900 and you put it back together and it runs crappy check the wiring harness. I broke some wires moving it around.

Thanks again Indy dan

Did you go with the AC clutch? What clutching setup are you working with and also at what altitude ..

I'm supposed to get mine back later this week or early next week, but I'd like to hear what clutching other people with the 900's are running ...

G
Jan 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
maybe its just me, but sometimes people dont want to search thru a bunch of posts to get the answer they are looking for, when then can just ask.
and that is why places like this fill up with a thousand questions of "Which is better?" and people get tired of giving good answers.

If you want quality, its much easier to read through a thread where all the good answeres/reasons and everything else were posted. It gives you a much more complete answer.

And maybe things would be easier to find answer for if people weren't as lazy.

But, as always my $0.02 and YMMV.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Brillant!! Post!!!!!!

and that is why places like this fill up with a thousand questions of "Which is better?" and people get tired of giving good answers.

If you want quality, its much easier to read through a thread where all the good answeres/reasons and everything else were posted. It gives you a much more complete answer.

And maybe things would be easier to find answer for if people weren't as lazy.

But, as always my $0.02 and YMMV.

There aare a few threads, where I have taken the time to explain the TEAM clutching, And Crankcase problems on the 800 Polaris Motors ( Which also gives tech info so complex & detailed that just by reading it your chances of having your motor last longer due to proper assembly is second to non ) The problem is ( posts and threads ) like this take hours, days, sometimes weeks to fully explain to the masses )

all old threads and post are on the OLD Snowest forum, and there is not enough hours in a day to ever redo them. ( should have saved them )

My typing skills are horse****. and formost my brain has to be in a mode that is hard to get to at the drop of a hat.

I posted threads on carb venting, TEAM clutching, and Crankshafts that is so indepth that at my age i might not ever be able to do again.

A search is by far the best way to find really good info on most forums. Some of these threads will take Days to read. and you MUST read every post to FULLY understand them. we all absorb info at a different rate & it take different explainations to reach different people.

I wish I could answer every question for every person to a very indepth level but its just not possible.

We have to rely on the masses to help spread the info.

I am also lazy at times so I do understand why people just ask instead of searching.

Time, time, time, time. We all want it NOW!!!

Again, Great post.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Drive Clutch

Did you go with the AC clutch? What clutching setup are you working with and also at what altitude ..

I'm supposed to get mine back later this week or early next week, but I'd like to hear what clutching other people with the 900's are running ...

Aaron, Chad is running the cat drive clutch. with 74 gram MTX Starting Line weights.

They are great weights and you can tune them without buying new weights everytime.

BUT, The Spider MUST be shimmed to the correct belt clearance or you could destroy the drive clutch and or crankshaft.

Drive clutch shimming is one of the MOST important elements of good performance and clutch & crank longevity.

I CAN'T stress ENOUGH the importance of shimming EVERY drive clutch.

Dan

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Aaron, Chad is running the cat drive clutch. with 74 gram MTX Starting Line weights.

They are great weights and you can tune them without buying new weights everytime.

BUT, The Spider MUST be shimmed to the correct belt clearance or you could destroy the drive clutch and or crankshaft.

Drive clutch shimming is one of the MOST important elements of good performance and clutch & crank longevity.

I CAN'T stress ENOUGH the importance of shimming EVERY drive clutch.

Dan

Dan,

Any pointers/tricks to performing proper belt clearance adjustment on the primary over and above the service manuals instructions??

Thanks in advance,

Glen

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Drive clutch belt clearance

Dan,

Any pointers/tricks to performing proper belt clearance adjustment on the primary over and above the service manuals instructions??

Thanks in advance,

Glen

Glen, my main concern,.

If your a crazy weight changer and you jump around to all different brands of drive clutch weights then the belt clearance has to be checked EVERY time you jump ship.

My advice to the novice clutch tuner..........pick a brand of clutch weight and STAY with it............if this surprises you then your a novice.

If you check and adjust your belt clearance everytime you change weights then you are no average tuner.

changing styles and brand clutch weights in high HP sleds is for EXPERTS ONLY!!!!!

800 cc and above you should stay with OEM weights period. ( unless your an expert ).

My prefered drive clutch belt clearance is ZERO to a brand new belt ( the belt I am going to be running NOT one with the same part number ) belt runs vary in width and length.

I shim to the narrowest part of the belt I can find then I do NOT let the sled idle until the belt is broke -in and wide part is woren off.

And scrub your belts in HOT soapy water with a brass brush until it starts to look alittle white and all the loose black compound is gone.

If you have never scrubbed a belt, You should try it and see how much better then work and last ( AND ) how much cleaner your clutches stay.

I have said this same thing many times.

Best to do a search and see if you can find clutch threads and read them.

with todays high HP sleds, 95% of the people are totally in the dark about belt care and clutch set-up.

And, if you have ever blowne a belt on a sled your clutch set-up is either wrong or your running the belt to many miles.

If a belt is Blowen on one of my torque master bottom-ends I will know it the second I take it apart and the warranty will be void.

When you blow a belt on a 800 at WOT or close to wide open throttle the crank flexs and the center seal hub hits the case and the crank is most likely now bent.

You heard me right, if you blow a belt on an 800 Polaris it most likely is now bent.

Engine heat soaking & Drive clutch set-up and belt care are the most things you can do to todays high output motors.

Dan

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
When you blow a belt on a 800 at WOT or close to wide open throttle the crank flexs and the center seal hub hits the case and the crank is most likely now bent.

You heard me right, if you blow a belt on an 800 Polaris it most likely is now bent.

Knew it was bad, but not quit that bad. Sounds almost as bad, as when the tooth fairy shows up, and knocks up your daughter.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
all old threads and post are on the OLD Snowest forum, and there is not enough hours in a day to ever redo them. ( should have saved them )

My typing skills are horse****. and formost my brain has to be in a mode that is hard to get to at the drop of a hat.

I posted threads on carb venting, TEAM clutching, and Crankshafts that is so indepth that at my age i might not ever be able to do again.

And some of those threads seems to be gone - could not find the Team thread or the carb venting thread when I was looking for them last year. :confused::devil::mad:

Too bad, as Dan says, that info should have been saved for future generations.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
And some of those threads seems to be gone - could not find the Team thread

Yah, I could really use that Team thread. Next year will be the first year, I run one as it came with the sled. Used to running Cat secs., and am a little nervous about throwing something new and unknown to me into the mix.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Dan,

How many miles do you reccommend before a belt change? I have never really thought that a blown belt could actually do crank damage, but now I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for sharing you knowledge.

M
Jan 19, 2008
Is it just me or is the forum filling up with people that don't have a clue about how forums work?

It doesn't take much to search people, and this one has been done into the dirt.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52811
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60753

Gee, sorry for inconveniencing you, I am at work keeping oil flowing out of the ground so everyone on this forum can put gasoline in their toys.

Supplicate - to pray humbly; make humble and earnest entreaty or petition. You are not living up to your screen name.

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Yah, I could really use that Team thread. Next year will be the first year, I run one as it came with the sled. Used to running Cat secs., and am a little nervous about throwing something new and unknown to me into the mix.

Here is the Team clutch thread. If it doesn't work the first time just hit refresh until it works. IT WILL WORK sooner or later. I just read the whole topic today again and printed it so I have a hard copy. :D

http://web.archive.org/web/20060317...etalk/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=252783

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
you know its gonna be a gooder when Dan starts with ...

Polaris Industries must be on crack,

Thanks for the find Shortstop!!! Next time your in the area I'll buy you a :beer; Now we need to find the DET Sensor thread, and a couple others...

For now I am going to enjoy this read in the middle of the night tonight. Seems like I cant fall back asleep when our new born gets up to eat...

Last edited:
Premium Features