• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TETON GRAVITY Bashes Snowmobiling....

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
This clearly was written by some degenerate person who had nothing but one thing to write about, so he took every experience and twisted it up.....

Don,t get us wrong, this event definitely brings out snowmobilers from all parts of the world, but to bash us for no reason other than being in "their town" is foolish.

*NOTE: Jackson Hill Climbs is the second largest event / revenue maker in the entire state of Wyoming.

PLEASE READ and let is know your thoughts....
http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/F...ampionships-6563599.htm#.UzRpqTcaGz0.facebook

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fear & Loathing At The Hill Climb World Championships
http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/F...ampionships-6563599.htm#.UzRpqTcaGz0.facebook

By Ryan Dunfee | March 26th, 2014

As we troll along Virginian Avenue in West Jackson searching for a place to park, it’s plainly obvious we are no longer in ski country. From the cockpit of my cute little diesel German wagon, I can actually see the underside of the dozens of lifted oversized pickups that line the avenue like some sort of motorcade for the leader of some backwoods Montana militia. We squeak in between two such personal tanks and, upon exiting the vehicle, surmise that the top of our ski rack is barely as high as the license plates on the vehicles in front of and behind us. I think about putting together some sort of sign to display on my dash so someone doesn’t mistake my VW for a Prius and intentionally run it over, but just decide to go ahead and drink anyways.

We’re at The Virginian Saloon--Ground Zero for the celebration of winter redneckery known as the Hill Climb World Championships. We aim to find out what happens when people other than rich ski dorks take over Jackson Hole during the winter months. To do this, we position ourselves in the heart of the mob and see how long we last before we’re found out as the middling suburban ski folks we really are. Through a veil of cigarette smoke, we stumble into line before paying our cover to a lady with a manicured brunette mane topped with a deer camo baseball cap. A large Hawaiian gentleman I understand to be the bouncer waves us into the saloon, and into the heart of darkness we go.
They must have a collective half-foot on the average skier, which would explain why all their trucks are lifted. The gentleman we stand behind in line for whiskey is so tall there are cirrus clouds floating around his deeply sunburnt face.
The first thing that strikes us is the sheer size of the humans in this place! They must have a collective half-foot on the average skier, which would explain why all their trucks are lifted. The gentleman we stand behind in line for whiskey is so tall there are cirrus clouds floating around his deeply sunburnt face. Sunscreen is not on the accessories list for this crowd. Pasty men wear the sun’s bright pink ruination of their faces as a badge of pride, the outline of their sunglasses neatly delineated in white. They owe their makeover to endless hours spent pounding Budweiser in the sun while ogling over neon graphic tees covered in skulls and gearhead catchphrases like “Octane Addiction.” Such wares are peddled in a sort of NASCAR-style infield beneath the slopes of Snow King, up which hundreds of snowmobilers adorned in bright one-piece suits toil with the ceaseless pull of gravity.

They hammer the gas out of the gate and peel over a number of man-made rollers, the shriek of gasoline-fed adrenaline piercing the Sunday quiet. They then bounce in fits and starts up the nearly vertical top of the mountain, the studded tracks of their thousand-pound steeds shredding the hillside to pieces as they try desperately to maintain control over their steel animals.

"Cloud of smoke and oil belching into the air as they struggle to maintain their mechanized wildebeests." Jackson Hole Snow Devils photo

As the afternoon wears on, the track is turned into a series of deep ruts and moguls, and the men jump left and right across their machines, clouds of snow and oil belching into the air as they struggle to tame the mechanized wildebeests. The announcer, who is either drunk or exhausted, breaks into random spurts of fast-paced auctioneer babble, making us wonder if there is a live cattle auction taking place in the venue. He yells at some guy in an orange jacket to come to the stage. Did someone out him for drinking a Sierra Nevada? We’ll never know.

As the Budweiser goes down, more and more individuals enact the bizarre postures of the tribe.

After finishing all the Budweisers I’d packed into the venue, it is time to wander. I spot several individuals feasting on corn dogs. I want one now, and make my girlfriend retrieve one from a vendor whose food cart looks like a forgotten Dip ’N Dots courier. The difference in style between these slednecks and my tribe of non-motorized snowsport aficionados is plainly evident. Knee-high Bogs boots replace skateboard shoes. Flexfit hats replace slouched beanies, deer camo and neon orange replace made-up kinds of camo and neon blue. Oakley Oil Rigs replace Ray Bans, and Mavi jeans are everywhere; a glance across a horizon of bejeweled back pockets reveals this brand of jeans to be the marquee item in one’s effort to conform to the culture of the snowmobile. And nary a single dreaded lock of hair can be seen.

Across the fence from more greenbacks worth of gear than the richest skiing dentist could shake a stick at. Jackson Hole Snow Devils photo.

We explore further and stumble upon a snowmobile whose price tag appears to be $16,500. Nearby a welded shelf is on sale for $413. It appears several families even own their own full-length trailers, stocked with sleds for mom, dad, and mini ones for the kids, along with full-service repair bays and flashy paint jobs. The grandeur of the expenditures required to be a full-bore sledhead make skiing look like an activity as affordable as ping-pong, yet snowmobiling is largely maligned as the past time of the white rural poor, while skiing is cast as the pastime of rich suburbanites. How could this be true when the cost of getting kitted out to participate in an event like the Hill Climb is hovering somewhere around the cost of a down payment for a house?
Years later we turn around and find out that, ****!, the cost of a new home in town is four times the state average, and that it costs $65 to get the ingredients you need at the organic grocer to make the prized braised kale crostini appetizer you and your health nut friends all salivate over.
“Cost of living,” my girlfriend muttered as she returned with my corn dog while I wondered aloud about some of the more pressing socio-economic questions of our time. Could it be? Us ski folk like to hunker down in tiny mountain valleys with little to no buildable land in cute little towns full of character. We want to enjoy the view of the breathtaking mountains surrounding us and recreate in the copious national park land that further constricts the availability of housing. We then entice rich city folk to come visit, get some fresh air, and drive the cost of living up further—all while we prey on them for tips. Years later we turn around and find out that, ****!, the cost of a new home in town is four times the state average, and that it costs $65 to get the ingredients you need at the organic grocer to make the prized braised kale crostini appetizer you and your health nut friends all salivate over.

Meanwhile, the good folks over in St. Anthony, Idaho—a hometown cited frequently over the Hill Climb loudspeakers—have no use for yuppie tourists from Long Island or Nob Hill. Consequently, their median home price is barely averaging $100,000, while the idiot skiers in Jackson Hole are paying seven times that. That means a lot more loose cash for a snowmachine that can out-accelerate a Porche—and the corresponding monster truck needed to carry it to the unmarked expanse of your choice.

An unlikely venue for finding enlightenment. Jackson Hole Snow Devils photo

Socioeconomic revelation achieved, I approach the last few bites of ground-up pig product wrapped in cornbread with a satisfied grin. At the bar now, I sit by the fire with my woman and a Makers and ginger, watching contentedly as a very wide man of Mexican descent dances with a skinny young girl in Mavi jeans around the bar. The color of their smiles peaks with each passing verse of the LMFAO song that cracks over the maladjusted speakers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Some GREAT REPLIES!!

<header> Dani Raver7 hours ago </header> AMEN Kristin!! The announcer wasnt drunk! He was choking back tears because we
lost an amazing selfless woman who left behind a small child. Where in
the article does it report that we (The Snow Devils) have donated over
600,000 dollars since 2001! And that we built the Oncology department at
St Johns? That we every year use this money to give to local kids for
scholarships? Donating thousands of dollars every year to help
underprivileged local children have Christmas! That every SINGLE one of
those "Rednecks" on the hill are ALL volunteers to raise money for
Charity... or that this is the THIRTY NINTH hill climbs and that we have
been around longer than 99% of these hippies that protest our event.
This is also the money maker for every single business in town for off
season. A little bit of compassion and ACTUAL research for this article
would have gone a long way. I know a LOT of locals are extremely
offended by this piece.

<header> Kristin D. J. Williamson7 hours ago </header> The most disappointing aspect of this article is that it
never once mentions the amazing work that the volunteer Jackson Hole Snow Devils have been able to provide to not only our community but others as well. Just to name a few of their charitable donations:
-$100,000 to St. John’s Medical Center for an Oncology Exam
room
- $72,000 to the Jackson Hole Shrine Club to benefit the
Shriner’s Children Hospital in Salt Lake City
-$50,000 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wyoming
Other causes include but are not limited to: Teton County Relay for Life, Pink Ribbon Riders, JHHS Senior Class, Teton County Search and Rescue, Snow King Volunteer Ski Patrol, Friends of Bridger Teton Avalanche Center, Jackson Hole Fire & EMS, Jackson Food Cupboard, Honoring Our Vets, Jackson Youth Hockey, Jackson Youth Baseball, Jackson Youth Skating, and Camp Courage Wyoming.
Apparently the only thing Ryan Dunfee regards as honorable mention at the Jackson Hole Championship Hill Climb is the “Rednerkery” as he calls it, big lifted up pick-up trucks and babbling auctioneers. Maybe had Mr. Dunfee listened to what the auction was for he would have wrote about a young woman named Raysha Nielson who tragically passed away less than a month ago. A woman that donated all of her race winnings from these EXACT hill climbs to Breast Cancer Patients. A woman that left behind a 2 year old son and a husband that said auction was raising money for just as she had done for so many others.
As a long time local of this town and the wife of a born and raised Jacksonite, I can hardly hold back my disdain for the use of labels and heavy criticism given by a Native of New Hampshire who feels he has the right to come here and pass judgment. If the sight of big over-sized pick-up trucks, camo baseball hats and a large Indian, not Hawaiian, bouncer offends you then my suggestion is you live in the wrong place and cannot look past the stereotypes to see what is really going on around you. You see, Jackson is about community and coming together. Charities and Businesses alike benefit from the chaos that is Hill Climb. This is not
something I expect you to understand as you were clearly paying attention to
the non-important happenings of the weekend festivities and not the truly remarkable people that bring good to those that need it. For four usually chaotic and interesting days, people cut loose and spend their hard earned money to support causes that I can only hope you yourself are not in need of someday. Heaven forbid you would have to be thankful for all the Budweiser drinking, sun burnt rednecks that spent a fortune for charity and had a good time doing it.

<header> Adam Sheue3 hours ago </header> To the author of this article; just letting you know that the people who have commented on this page are what you might call real locals reaching generations deep. This valley and the surrounding area were found and built on these so called redneck, hillclimbers, diesel truck driving, redneckery loving, beer drinking and fun loving people that we are. Don't judge us for the fact that we are proud to help those in need and take offence to ignorant people like you. How dare you think you can move into this town and think that you can judge us. Now I grew up in this town and skied ever bit of the Village and Snow King and Targhee as everyone else has. I'll be the first person to tell you that standing in line for the tram is like herding cattle. Now I'm not going to sit hear and hate on you for being a skier or the fact that you drive a Volkswagen.In all reality your nothing more then a BULLY and your PATHETIC. Don't think for a second that anyone of us that actually care are going to sit back and let you take something that we hold so dear to our hearts and let you slander it. Who gave you the right to think that your opinion even ****ing matters, and your right not everyone is going to see eye to eye on this and you have a right to your opinion but keep it to yourself. So maybe we'll see you out there April 25-27 for THE FIRST ANNUAL CRAZY HORSE HILL CLIMB AT GRAND TARGHEE RESORT. It's gunna be a lot of fun make sure to wear a name tag I'm sure a lot of us rednecks can't wait to meet you.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Kinda lost for words, disrespectful sums it up. Even if it is a tongue and cheek article as someone proclaimed. Not the best move on this writers part.:tsk: Looking at the pic he seems to be just another kid spouting off at the mouth and does not realize how much the snowmobile community of Jackson Hole contributes to its economy.

This is what I look like..jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This one will be hard to live down.
Really nice to see all the negative comments they are getting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
The best part, is he not wearing a "camo" hat in his profile pic deal haha??.

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Now everyone knows what he looks like. Sucks to be him!!
Thousand pound steeds. Somebody running an Apex?

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
This just reinforces my decision in spending my time and money on my sled in the backcountry and not at the ski hill surrounded by douchebag mfers like this guy.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
The only problem i see is people don't have a sense of humor anymore and think any tonge and cheek article the blows quite a few stereotypical aspects of a group way out of perportion for the purpose of a chuckle as a personal attack on their well being. I dont get it and thought the it was pretty funny myself but then again i was dropped a few times when i was little. if you cant laugh at yourself you dont have the right to laugh at anyone else

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
The conceit of skiers is not new.

Somehow, their reliance on the same heavy industries that produce all the metal and plastic they need to do their thing is morally superior to ours, because they don't make noise...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only problem i see is people don't have a sense of humor anymore and think any tonge and cheek article the blows quite a few stereotypical aspects of a group way out of perportion for the purpose of a chuckle as a personal attack on their well being. I dont get it and thought the it was pretty funny myself but then again i was dropped a few times when i was little. if you cant laugh at yourself you dont have the right to laugh at anyone else
There really is a difference between laughing WITH someone and laughing AT someone.

This guy's bias against snowmobiles was pretty palpable in that hit piece of an article.

Just look at the LONG list of comments from locals in the replies...

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
He is the reason the Cowboy Bar was voted

" Best Gay Hangout " 2014 JH Weekly poll.

Wait until his corndog buyin " girlfriend " finds out he spent all his money on a ski pass and VW repair bills instead of the rent..wait she probably pays that too.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
The most offensive, was the comment about the announcer. We agree laughing with somebody is different than at. And these comments were directed "AT" us not "WITH" us. As many of the comments read in the bottom of the article, he was not a drunk mumbling auctioneer, he was choked up over the support and uprising for Raysha's left behind family, fighting for words holding back the tears. That comment alone would get him knocked out by any one of the racers that sees this guy....

For those of you that don't know, there was nearly 30k dollars raised when Polaris auctioned off the pink ribbon riders 2015 pro, and a couple local companies donated 4k on top of that each. And EVERY racer donated his/her winnings from Jackson hole to the Raysha Nielsen fund this past weekend. It was moving to say the least, we are not ashamed to say we had tears. All of this money is going into a college trust for her three year old son left behind, Traxton.

Premium Features