• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team tied helix tor bolts

zeke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Anyone have a solution to remove those PITA torx head bolts? I've got 2 out but 2 are not coming. I've tried a 1/4" impact and penitrating oil and a bit of heat. Twisted the head off 2 torx sockets.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Dremel

Wow just went through this 2 days ago as well. I ended up using a small wornout cut off wheel on a Dremel. Cut a slot across the head of the screw, using a little heat and a BIG flat head screw driver with a cresent wrench on the flat of the blade, I was able to finally get them to turn.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If they are stubborn, some heat and an impact driver gets them out every time. If the heads are damaged badly, you can just get a drill the same size as the threaded portion and drill it out. You must center it correctly. Then you can grab the end that is left with a pair of vice grips and get them out. I recommend replacing the bolts even if they look good.

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
If they are stubborn, some heat and an impact driver gets them out every time. If the heads are damaged badly, you can just get a drill the same size as the threaded portion and drill it out. You must center it correctly. Then you can grab the end that is left with a pair of vice grips and get them out. I recommend replacing the bolts even if they look good.

Heat
Heat Heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
They drove me nuts for a couple years, then one day at Home Depot I spotted a multi size torx fold up tool made by Husky (believe it or not) that looked like it was made of cheap red plastic. I bought the tool and found out the torx ends do not twist, slip or break and I have not had a problem since. It's also the best tool I've found for removing those stubborn Hi-Fax retaining screws. Best tool I've ever purchased.

Premium Features