• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tachometer just gave up working?

B

BCPOWPOW

Jan 15, 2009
Earlier this week (April 14th), we made our way to the cabin @ Boulder, and when we got there, my tachometer and all the lights inside it (elec. rev., detenation, hi temp) completely stopped working. I was surprised since it worked fine in the staging area. I have a 2003 Polaris RMK 800 159 track, and it has been very reliable ride this year, but now this....

Engine runs, and elec. rev. works as well. Just not the tach & lights. So I considered this an electrical issue. I looked at my headlights, and they where real dim too. I then checked all my connections, and no fix. Could this be caused by a short/splice in the system somewhere? I recently adjusted my handlebars, and I think I might have kinked a wire on the left handwarmer.

Any help with diagnosising this one would be great. Not sure if anyone has had this issue before, since not many threads about tachs dying. I have a circuit tester, and I am going to test the tach connection itself later today to see if there is juice even getting to it.

thx.

xcrash911

Lifetime Membership
Mine did something similar a couple weeks ago, and I think you are on the right track with the left handwarmer wires. I had just adjusted everything on the left side and kinked a handwarmer wire with my left hand throttle. Mine worked fine on low but if I turned the warmers up I lost tach and headlight. took it back apart, adjusted wiring and all is fine again.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Wish the 550 IQ had a tachometer - the lack of which is a most grievous crime against Polaris. And you thought only the 800 boys had issues...

Premium Features