• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Super Q on M8, I lost RPMs!

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
I installed a Skinz Super Q can on my stock 07 M8. I love the sound of the can but I went from pulling 76-7700 R's down to 73-7400 and the rpms are jumping around on the top end at full throttle. Has anyone else put one of these cans on and had this happen to them? I did have a slight exhaust leak at the Y to pipe. I will run the sled one more time with this fixed. I hope this works cause I really like the can.

B
Oct 4, 2008
Stanwood,WA
I tried two different aftermarket cans on two seperate '06 M7 sleds and both of them sounded great but bogged down at certain RPM's and jumped all over the place with them on. A guy from the Racing Station knew exactly what the problem was when it was explained to him what was going on. He said that the can was causing the problem and that for some reason the M-series sleds' ECU's cannot compensate correctly with the aftermarket cans. I have yet to here of a can that works with these sleds but he did say there are a couple out there? I pulled the can off and the sled runs perfect...

M
Nov 23, 2008
Vancouver, wash
I have 06 m7 put super-Q can on. My theory is if your going to let it breath out one end you should let it breath in the other end. So i never ran mine with just the super-Q can. I put the slp big air horn on at the same time. Runs awsome, pulls 7800-7850 consistantly.

I
Sep 17, 2008
rocky mountains
I have seen many M8's with SLP, and SuperQ skinz silencers run without any drop in performance. I have seen many y-pipes crack out in the center of the y however. I would want to check the silencer for a defect but i haven't seen any with those brands. Inspect your clutches you never know when you might have developed something there as well.
(timing is funny that way sometimes)

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
I put an UltraQ on my 900 Crossfire last weekend and it ran poorly. Top end wasn't too bad (down a bit on rpm) but the sled would hesitate in the mid. What a waste of 300 bucks.....I knew better but tried it anyway.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
This is a good thread. I wanted to lose some weight off my sled and a can seems like the easy and cheap way to do it but I don't want to hurt the performance either. Hmmm...what to do???

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
I have 06 m7 put super-Q can on. My theory is if your going to let it breath out one end you should let it breath in the other end. So i never ran mine with just the super-Q can. I put the slp big air horn on at the same time. Runs awsome, pulls 7800-7850 consistantly.

Just as an FYI, the UltraQ on my mod motor would not flow enough...it was more restrictive than the stock can and caused the motor to load up and hesitate. I believe the SuperQ may flow more, hence why some may have issues with the UltraQ and not the SuperQ although there seems to be a lot of good running sleds with UltraQs. Every sled is different....especially when modified.

IMO, you are rolling the dice with any can on an EFI sled. Flow tested or not, these aftermarket guys can't replicate all conditions and variables, IMO.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
I run the S-Q on my 07 M8 (in AK too) and it rips, you should bring the stock muffler with you next time and try 'em both (well warmed up, of course).

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Ran one on my buddies 07 M8 with no problems at all, never lost any RPM.

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
I run the S-Q on my 07 M8 (in AK too) and it rips, you should bring the stock muffler with you next time and try 'em both (well warmed up, of course).

Good idea! We are going to try to head up to Lost lake on Saturday and I am going to bring my stock muffler and do a comparision. I will post the results.
We are getting dumped on!!! Yeee Haaaaaaa!

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Just bringing this back up as an FYI. As mentioned above, I tried an UltraQ with my CF7 w/900 motor and it was too restrictive. Cut the center tower/baffle out and it flows perfectly now. Soooo, what does this mean? If you are running stock motors/exhaust, the UltraQ will likely work fine. If running mod motors/exhaust, the SuperQ would be a better choice to due the added flow.

Also, although many aftermarket motor guys suggest stock mufflers for best performance, I had better results with the modified UltraQ. I had some midrange gurgles that I could never get rid of with the Boondocker. Stuck the Skinz UltraQ can on and got worse. Put stock back on improved. Spent an hour screwing with the BD box with no luck. Modified the UltraQ (which would basically be a SuperQ after modifying it), stuck it on and presto, motor runs super clean....can't say anything about peak HP but no question it works for low/mid better than stock on my motor/pipe/BD setup.

P
Jan 28, 2009
usk
we have never lost rpms with the ultra q great sound and preformace i notice that you have to burn them out a little then they work great after a good day of riding. so ride it hard burn the packing and see what happens

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
we have never lost rpms with the ultra q great sound and preformace i notice that you have to burn them out a little then they work great after a good day of riding. so ride it hard burn the packing and see what happens

Huh? Not trying to flame ya but that statement makes absolutely no sense.:confused:

The packing has nothing to do with back pressure or performance and you're going to spend a long time trying to burn out the packing in a Skinz can...unless it is one of the first gen models without the vertical cone on the inlet.

Premium Features