• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summer snowmobile project

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Ok fellas, So my sledding season is over and I am going to need a new summer project. So i have decieded to take and extend my 99 xc 600 from 121" to a 144". But i pretty much know nothing on how to do this.

Has anybody ever done this b4?

What size gearing?
What kind of rail extensions and tunnel extension did you use?
Different driver size?

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advanced.:beer;

xc_rider08

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
This is a good little project fo you to do.....you will love the sled after you've done it.

If I were you I would go to www.tracksusa.com and get all the parts from there. You will need the obvious tunnel extension, track and rail extension. My buddy has this kit on his edge and it is great!!! Very strong too. Make sure you have a good air riveter for the tunnel extension. The snowflap and rear bumper can be re-used on the new tunnel extension. (I believe the rear bumper can). For the gearing and driver I would go with a stock 99 RMk 144, I think that would be a good start.

www.hiperf.com has good gearing options, not sure about drivers though.

This project is fairly easy even if you have little experience, so dont be intimidated and go for it...you'll love it...goodluck

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
This is a good little project fo you to do.....you will love the sled after you've done it.

If I were you I would go to www.tracksusa.com and get all the parts from there. You will need the obvious tunnel extension, track and rail extension. My buddy has this kit on his edge and it is great!!! Very strong too. Make sure you have a good air riveter for the tunnel extension. The snowflap and rear bumper can be re-used on the new tunnel extension. (I believe the rear bumper can). For the gearing and driver I would go with a stock 99 RMk 144, I think that would be a good start.

www.hiperf.com has good gearing options, not sure about drivers though.

This project is fairly easy even if you have little experience, so dont be intimidated and go for it...you'll love it...goodluck

thanks for your help... i reped you to for it

i am looking forward to doing... just would like a little info before i jump into it...

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Thanks man, yeah I hear you on the info thing....I am the exact same way, I like to know every detail before a project. Like I said just have the right tools and a little knowledge and you will be good to go. I am sure others will chime in aswell.

other sites to look at:

www.avid-products.com

www.mountainmachines.com

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Gonna be helping on this one I'm sure, haha, but was gonna ask about the coolant lines on it and notching the track. Whats the easiest way of this, notch it ourselves or find a track prenotched? Heard about using the RMK lines, would this be eaiser to do? Already found a track I think....

thanks

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
notching the track is easy... good pair of dikes can notch the avg. 2" track. it doesnt take much to clear the coolers... did the same thing to my 98xc 600 back in 01.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
if you cant find rail ext.'s i'd recomend wildchild here on the forums he makes good products for a good price.. might pick up his 2wheel kit at the same time. he made the rail ext's on my 600 and they worked great.

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
if you cant find rail ext.'s i'd recomend wildchild here on the forums he makes good products for a good price.. might pick up his 2wheel kit at the same time. he made the rail ext's on my 600 and they worked great.

ok thanks... will do

repped you too

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
if the xlite skid is compatible with the xc tunnel my first thought would be to see if you could buy a complete 144 xlite skid with stock polaris track and be done. check with your local polaris dealer if pitch matches and if there's room for the paddles but and I wouldnt mess with drivers or rolling chaincase if I didnt have to. I would gear to about 2.1 to 2.2, reduce helix angles and stiffen up the secondary spring a bit......you'll have a new beast on your hands.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
Tracks usa sells a 144 track that is already notched for the coolers. I may have a complete kit from one of my buddies sleds hes gonna be taking off. Track, and all ext's? And for the kit's they are really straight forward as to putting on.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
if the xlite skid is compatible with the xc tunnel my first thought would be to see if you could buy a complete 144 xlite skid with stock polaris track and be done. check with your local polaris dealer if pitch matches and if there's room for the paddles but and I wouldnt mess with drivers or rolling chaincase if I didnt have to. I would gear to about 2.1 to 2.2, reduce helix angles and stiffen up the secondary spring a bit......you'll have a new beast on your hands.

Only if are local Dealer new anything. Kyle let me know when your going to do this will be willing to help and I might have a air riveter we could use.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I did a 00 gen 2 600 121-144 conversion a few years back. I got a arctic cat notched track, but still had to do drivers to fit the 2" paddle. Because I went with a smaller drivers I didnt regear it I think i used 7 tooth drivers if im not mistaken

That sled did suprisingly well in the deep you will have fun

Mountain machines made a 121-144 extension for 8" wheels fyi

If it were me I would buy a set of Ice Age rails though

Oh yea make sure you buy yourself a set of scratchers too If you decide not to do anything with the cooling system on the trail on hardpack it may overheat I learn the hard way

Last edited:

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
TTT, anybody have any pics of this being done?

Thank you all for your replys... i repped you all

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Everything is just basic to do this and won't take very long to do it, 6-8hours at the most. Drop brackets in the rear, lower the front mounting hole and that will give you tunnel clearance. I would personally go with a full RMK rear skid, rear mount hole will be 4" back from current one.

On another note, would be easier to sell the XC and buy an RMK, intall your mods in that one.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Everything is just basic to do this and won't take very long to do it, 6-8hours at the most. Drop brackets in the rear, lower the front mounting hole and that will give you tunnel clearance. I would personally go with a full RMK rear skid, rear mount hole will be 4" back from current one.

On another note, would be easier to sell the XC and buy an RMK, intall your mods in that one.

I have told him that a few times.

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND

haha yeah i know right?

well there is some certain ppl that are putting a stop to that right now... so i have decided to do this instead...

thanks for the info

Premium Features