• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestions - front shock upgrade 02 Edge?

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
OK, there is no budget for this in today's home economy, but looking for opinions on a front shock upgrade for my 02 800 Edge. It has stock shocks that have to be completey shot. Looking for something used that is rebuildable and also adjustable without revalving. Did I say inexpensive?
Any suggestions?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
o pros are great they are rebuildable but not adjustable. Ead has two fronts forsale for 275.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
For the front of my '04 Edge, I found a pair of brand new WE's that were "take-offs" from a 700 Dragon.....I paid $80......It's a huge improvement, even though some have had problems, these work perfectly. It's takes a little grinding near the upper mount, then they bolt right on....

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Thanks for that tip. That is the kind of solution I was looking for. I rode with a guy that cussed his WE, but I wondered if they would still be better than my 02 stock shocks.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
you would be good with ryde fx, pro zeros or walker evans, if I get any cheap I will let you know

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
the stock RydeFX are good shocks, I'd get them rebuilt / revalved. Should cost less than $100 for both. Where are you located, maybe someone has a local shock guy to recommend?
Also , how many miles on the sled, how much do you weigh, and what kind of riding do you do?

Adjustable shocks will cost a lot more - is it a "need to have" or just "nice to have" ?

For my high mileage 02 XC800, I bought a used set of RydeFX shocks and had them rebuilt before shipped to me, a very noticeable improvement in ride/handling. I also got a pair of new 90/180 springs to try out, but havent put them on yet. (Stock is 68/160)

Some of the best front shocks available for the edge is the RydeFX Solo shocks used on the 05 XC600 50th anniversary, but those are very hard to find used.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
It might be the wrong time of year, but call Carl's in Boise regarding brand new "take-offs"......They had me on their list for a set of '09 WE's. Price was $175 for the front pair. It took them about a month to call me and by then I had already found the pair I referred to above.

I agree Ryde FX are good, I put them on the rear this year....G'luck...

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Try to come up with a set of the rydefx's that came stock on the Escapes. they are adjustable and rebuildable. they can be had pretty cheap and are really a great shock. they are right up there with the zero pro's and I would take either over the WE airs. too many rebuilds with them.

Premium Features