• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestions for handlebar project--XLT

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Looking to upgrade handlebars/grips on '97 XLT RMK. Stock plastic grips SUCK! Planning on changing grips at very least and most likely the bars too. Any suggestions for grips? After a day of riding my palms are sore from hanging on the grips (all you pervs in the peanut gallery pipe down :D), I think from trying to turn aggressively with bars without hooks. Thinking of the extended foam grips and a set of hooks for them to go over on the stock bars if I don't buy new bars.

I'm also looking for reccomendations for handlebars. I need to replace the throttle block itself for the stock lever as the original is loose and allows the throttle lever to flop around. I bought the block from local Poo dealer, but it is one piece, so I have to pull grips and heater to remove. I'm thinking of doing away with the factory lever/ kill switch setup and looking for a 2-piece clamp style lever block (I think Powermadd makes one) and swapping the factory brake and mountain strap to the new bars and putting new grips and heaters and hooks if the bars aren't already made with hooks.

I bought a new 3" RSI pivot riser off e-bay for $9 total, so I plan to use it with a flat top pivot adapter on the post. I already have a 2" riser block now, I will just have to see if the riser and pivot alone give me enough height for stand up riding (I'm 6'2" tall) or use the block too to get a little more height. Shadtree Powersports says the 2-piece Powermad throttle mount requires a throttle cable extension kit anyway to use on Polaris and Ski-doo sleds, and I most likely will have to get a longer brake line no matter what height I use.

Any input on best brand of bars/grips would be appreciated. I won't be doing this project until I have all the funds and parts to do it. Any suggestions or things I may have forgotten would be great. Thanks!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I would suggest a new higher post. The stock posts in those sleds were very weak and will bend quickly with the added leverage from all the risers. You will need to extend cables, brake line and wires probably with any change you are going to make. I'm 6'5" so you are going to want to go reasonably high to be comfortable.

I use a soft rubber grip that I install over the top of my stock grips. Like you, my hands get tired on the stock small diameter grip, so these absorb a lot of the vibration and allow a more comfortable size for a days ride.

From the photo, I now cut off the large flared end and only use the grip itself. I use the air compressor to get it on and don't use any adhesive. I'm on about my 3rd winter with my current setup and it is starting to slip off the end a little bit since I hang off the side a lot. I'll probably put another set on next winter for something to do. I install these on all my sleds with good results.

VB

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
the rsi stuff works good. here is a pic of my buddys ultra with a 6 inch rsi riser and pivot adepter with i believe rsi back country bars. Just used the stock throttle lever and block, and powermad throttle extension but would recommend the rsi extended length cable. He is a lighter guy but the steering post held up fine this winter, even with some rolls of the sled.
n5821607_35535847_3110.jpg

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
Just got a nice 97 XLT SKS in the stable, it also got the banana-shaped, knee-height stock handlebars. Put on a 1" riser block I had in the box which helped a little (but not enough).

Thinking of taking some bend out of the bars to straighten them out a bit + adding another inch of rise.

As for new handlebars on your RMK, I'd think Pro-X bars might work, also heard of several using Cat bars w/ built-in hooks. (needs 2-pc throttle blocks)

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My '05 is on the left with a 3" riser (you can just barely make out the bar hook where it curls down) compared to my '94 XLT also with a 3" riser. With the running boards almost identical heights, the bar height is major. Try out other sleds to figure out how high off the running boards you need, then build yours to fit.

VB

Premium Features