• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering Post Movement

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
Hi guys, thinking about getting back on a cat from a 08xp, I was checking out the telescopic steerring on the 09 m8 and m10. I noticed that all of the sleds had a lot of sloppy play in the steerring. Just wondering if any of the mountain riders have bent their steering posts when side hilling agressively. I had to replace the steering rod a few times on my 03 1m. You can press out the rod but it looses is riggitness. My second question is the stock ski's, are they any good?

Thanks
Wise Guy
used to be "BC Big Cat"

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
They have a bit of play in them from the start, nothing that you notice when your riding tho. If they do get a bit more loose there is 3 nuts you can tighten which takes all of a minute to do. Sounds like they are holding up pretty good. i had a nasty spill a couple weeks ago on mine and was very impressed they came out perfectly fine.

As far as ski's, there not the best, but IMHO they are better then the one's on the xp's

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
BDX just got done testing a new steering post bearing that supports the steering post 3/4 inch higher and brings the steering post ahead approx 1/2 inch. It gives the steering post 5 times the support area then the stock support. we'll have a picture on the post soon. It eliminates the looseness and you won't have to retighten again.

J
Jan 9, 2009
North of Norway
I've mounted a 09 adj. steering post on my 08 and I thinks it has too much slop. The slop seems to be inside the post, in the adj. parts... Any fix for that? Or is the Fastlane 4" post a better solution...

M
Dec 20, 2008
trick is to only bend it slightly every ride. haha

Bent mine on my 07 first ride don't remember how? Made two years of riding tho untill i smashed her into some trees last june. i have heard of guy's filling the post with fiberglass?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
BDX just got done testing a new steering post bearing that supports the steering post 3/4 inch higher and brings the steering post ahead approx 1/2 inch. It gives the steering post 5 times the support area then the stock support. we'll have a picture on the post soon. It eliminates the looseness and you won't have to retighten again.

I think you need to send them to myself and Dan Gardiner for testing :D:D

I was a big fan of the stock telescoping post until this weekend. Dan rolled his down a hill and bent his post... moments later i lawn darted off a huge step down and bent my post... lol 2 posts within 30 minutes of each other... now in the process of finding new steering posts!

course had they been ski doos we would have been looking at 2 totaled sleds :eek::face-icon-small-con:eek:

tsnowak

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage, Ak

been wondering when somebody was going to replace those dry plastic

blocks with a real bearing, 1/2" more forward was needed as well. if its as

strong as stock and priced fair you should sell a ton. cat should of put a

bearing there like others- long ago.

/

M
Nov 21, 2007
cando, nd
had my hcr in for the torque bracket retainer update, they said i had too much play in my steering post, so they were gonna order up a new one for me. Starting to like my new dealer more and more!!!

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
i never noticed the play when riding, defantely when sitting still its got alot. Anyone ever put a riser on the adjustable column. I think i want two more inches

Premium Features