• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering post flex

R
Dec 30, 2007
Snohomish WA 98290
So I just installed a steering post riser on my 2004 1M and took it for a spin down the road since we go a nice snow fall here. What concerns me is the amount of flex in the post above the upper bearing when pulling on the bars, such as on jumps or pulling the sled over.
So the question is : will the post evenually break there or just bend. How long do they last with the extra leverage added with the riser.

B

Biglizard1

Feb 15, 2010
Baker City
i made three rides before i bent mine with a 3 inch riser. ended up having a problem with the throttle after that bending. Gonna try a solid rod insert in mine.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I made another support that made a hugh difference. Bolted off the original bracket and raise it up about 2". Put a thin washer between two old handle bar clamps to form the bushing. I was not easy on it and it held very well, kept the steering post from rubbing a hole in the carb boots too.

R
Nov 21, 2009
West Fargo, ND
Inserting a rod

If you take your handle bars off, you can see right into the steering post. That is where I inserted my steel rod. I modified the end of the rod so it would not fall all the way down but stayed at the top so it reinforced the top half.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Everyone else is right on with strengthening the post, but on top of that I noticed on mine the other half of the flex came from the entire steering hoop moving. Planning on running a flatbar brace from the steering hoop over the top of the motor and bolting down to the front of the bulkhead (racecar style).

R
Nov 21, 2009
West Fargo, ND
I just may have been lucky as the welds were all on the exterior of my tube. I have been thinking of doing the steering post mod, I only have one branch left on my money tree and I want to spend it on something better, don't know what yet.

B
Nov 17, 2008
Forget the steel rods.....jeezus. Make sure the column is straight and fill with fiberglass resin with 30% perlight fill (airfilled little ballsacks for the happy sledders) this eats up volume with compromising shear. Need to let sit and cure in a static state for 48hrs.

Premium Features