• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

special tools for m sleds

J

jasonsamko

Dec 18, 2008
Michigan
this crossfire i ordered will be my first cat.
are there any special tools i need to work on this sled?
to change tracks, belts, clutches (have a skidoo clutch puller), etc.
or any specialty tools that make any particular job easier.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
There is a special tool to get the nut off that holds the brake disc. And of course you will need the proper clutch puller.

P
Dec 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Tool to remove brake nut? Hammer and a flat punch!! haha. No tool needed.

Maybe a primary clutch puller.

Other than that, there's basically nothing you cant make out of normal garage / shop stuff laying around. Secondary clutch compressor is an easy one to make, you'll need that.

Necessity is the mother of invention lol.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
always have a pipe spring tool or a needle nosed vice grip along when you ride in case you need to change your plugs at. they are a pain to get at.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
I jumped ship from being on Polaris's for 30+ years last fall, my learning curve is just getting started as well.

I made my clutch puller from a grade 8 bolt and a steel rod. ( This is after I ordered one from my local Cat dealer and it was the wrong one)

An oil filter strap wrench works great for changing belts and there is plenty of room under the seat to stash one.

Get some good high quality allen wrench's for those clutch set screws.

You can use a drill press for the secondary, I also have an arbor press and a threaded one I made up for the TEAM on my polaris but have yet to try that to see if it will work.

You will need a 12 point 1/2" socket for the clutch bolt. 3/8" drive thin walled socket works.

The drive shaft nut tool is optional but I will be making one. I will also be finding out what the diamond drive will need for special tools at some point when I change gears.

type_a_positive

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mongo Norway
Seal/bearing puller set from BDX for the DD:

50052-Seal-Tool-640.jpg

J

jasonsamko

Dec 18, 2008
Michigan
do i need the bearing puller to change the gears in the dd?
i will be putting m gears on it when i upgrade the track.

Premium Features