• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sorry Cat guys...i gave it an honest effort

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
So, I rode a buddies M1000 today in some epic powder and I don't think I liked it much. I have been trying a few different sleds this year to find what to buy next and I think I liked the XP better... My issue today was that the back end kept washing out on me in a hard carve or sidehill. I think its due to the lack of swaybar but how do you other M series riders get used to it? I also think that i'd have to get a taller seat. Felt like I was squatting all the way to the tunnel so I mostly rode standing up all day, even on the trail...
As for positives... it hauled the mail pretty well, just didn't haul me very good...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
No trouble with the power, size or weight. Just couldn't figure out the best way to get and keep it on an edge while carving. I'm not knocking the sled, just looking for imput from guys that have one and their transition issues getting used to its handling. Its not much fun to fight a sled all day when the conditions are so good. Seemed like every time I'd start a nice carve, if it unweighted at all ( bump, drifted snow, etc), I would lose the back end or flop all the way over.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Lmao

Sounds like you are too used to riding the doo. You mentioned that everytime you started a carve and hit a hard spot you pulled it over on its side. Sounds like you were over riding it...They are made so you don't have to work like hell to pull it on its side...Also next time you compare apples to oranges make sure you set up the sled for your weight, makes a huge difference

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
hmmmm... interesting, i think if your used to a sled that is less tippy you over steer the M sleds a lot. I normally ride Rev chassis DOO sleds, and rode my dads M7 a few times last winter, it definately lays over way easier, but i think after a little while riding it you get used to its reactions and wont wash out nearly as much, i know my buddies and my dads M sleds will out sidehill an xp or a rev when things setup any. BUT, i do understand the 15 wide likes to push out a little easy when its deep.

I really like the M chassis and i ride DOO, they just handle better in the setup.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
M's are easy to throw around

Well it does take a little to get used to but i don't have any trouble at all! Once you find the balance point you can sidehill an m-series for days!

2-28 sidehill.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
what year sled?.....what track length?.....i have an 09 162 powderclaw.....sno-pro, so i have adjustable air shocks....with minimal work on the air pressure, dropping the front of the skid to the lower hole, i have no problems as you suggested.....i ride with xps of different track lengths, piped, etc...have absolutely no problem high-marking any of them, and out handleing them in almost any situation....but they are light and work well in the deep in tight trees.....i go any where they do, but as the trees start to thin out, the 1000 totally dominates....not bashing the xp, the 09s seem to be very good, reliable sleds....but for most overall performance, especially on the hills and in the deep, the 1000 rules.....:)

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
hmmm, I'm the exact opposite, I love the M-series (hated hated hated it at first) I hated it so bad I wouldnt even ride the seld, I owned it for most of a season and wouldnt ride it I rode my 04 900. now I hate hate hate going back onto the 900. the suspension and handling ROCK.

Then I rode an XP and sidhilling and carving were MUCH harder and I felt like I have no control.

Not knocking any sled, but I think you really need to ride one set up for you and spend a little more time.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Me too...........not bashing the Doo Doo's but, you need to ride the M-series more than once. The chassis is unbelievable once you "find" it. Effortless sidehill, boondocking and climbing. 1000 cc's is just pure fun!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
Thats more like it !!! now i'm getting the feed back I was looking for to make an informed purchase.
SLDRYDR...Its an 07 with a 153 track, fox floats, speedworx head, pipe, BD box, vents out the wazoo, etc. its a great running sled and rider weight is within 5 lbs. the skid seemed pretty soft but I didn't try to adjust it. The fronts were pretty stiff.
Dog Town... I agree, but it was pretty frustrating. On my 2 XP rides, it only took a few minutes to figure out the nuances of it and i had great rides. Felt very comfy and confident... I just struggled today.

KNEEZ... you may be right on the over riding... I didn't really try to see how LITTLE effort it took to keep it cut into a sidehill...

OK... thanks all... I'll give it another try...

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
I have to agree with what was stated above. it takes much less effort to throw the M around than a doo. i rode a doo for 3 days at togwotee (wrecked early) and i was dog tired each day from trying to carve with that swaybar. has anyone tryed unhooking the swaybar on a doo? i felt it had to be on the sidepanel to carve, that is good for doing doughnuts but sidehillin was just flat out work. with my M i can do preaty much anything effortlessly. but even helping unexperienced riders that have doos was hard to get it to turn like the M chassie. i personaly will never ride a sled with a sway bar ever again.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I really struggle with the m series chassis. I have spent 2 days straight on one and still couldnt get the hang of it. I still like my "old" king cat chassis. I dont know if being bigger (6'4 230) makes a difference but I am WAY more comfortable on the "old" cat chassis. I did ride a 09 XP 154 this year and did like everything about it EXCEPT the vibration of the motor and the lock of bottom end power. The great part is I am broke as a joke right now and cant buy a new sled so I really dont have to worry about it.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I really struggle with the m series chassis. I have spent 2 days straight on one and still couldnt get the hang of it. I still like my "old" king cat chassis. I dont know if being bigger (6'4 230) makes a difference but I am WAY more comfortable on the "old" cat chassis. I did ride a 09 XP 154 this year and did like everything about it EXCEPT the vibration of the motor and the lock of bottom end power. The great part is I am broke as a joke right now and cant buy a new sled so I really dont have to worry about it.

Im a big man and I love the rideability of the M chassis. I too came off an "old" cat chassis, and I admit it took some getting used to, but I cant stand the old sled anymore. I intended to keep it as a backup sled, but its so awkward that I wont even ride it anymore. I'd rather not go riding!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
hmmm, I'm the exact opposite, I love the M-series (hated hated hated it at first) I hated it so bad I wouldnt even ride the seld, I owned it for most of a season and wouldnt ride it I rode my 04 900. now I hate hate hate going back onto the 900. the suspension and handling ROCK.
lol I was the same way. When I went from a 1M to an m-sled I felt goofy and out of place. As I got used to it the only thing I missed was the power. Now my 09 is as light as my m7 but with the power I want (until shes broken in of coarse...haha).

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
It took me a long time to get it through my thick skull that I didn't have to manhandle the M Chassis. The 1m chassis is an awesome point and shoot chassis, and not a bad trail chassis, but it really takes alot of effort to boondock. So often I would yank the sled over so far I would end up heading 90* from where I wanted. :D

D
Jan 1, 2008
how should i set mine up

I recently bought a 07 m 1000, the guy before was easily 250lbs i am 180, i found it hard to control and front heavy, the rear doesn't even drop when i stand on it, how should i set it up for me?

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah

I came off a 1M and this is what I have found after eating **** a lot on my M!! First, you dont countersteer the M like you do on the 1M, simply turn and go. I have been bucked off more than once when I try to countersteer the M, it simply goes where you point it!!

The Doo is strange, tries to stay upright way too much.

Last edited:
I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
I've found the M likes you to be standing tall and tucked up tight to the bars, with all your weight driven down thru your feet. Weight a foot, lean a little, countersteer a little, and it goes where you want. Very predictable and forgiving. My guess is you were standing too far back on the tunnel most of the time.

But then, I'm on an 8 not a 1000.

Last edited:
Premium Features