• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile Specific avalanche class in Grand Junction

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Four Hour Avalanche Class
Specifically for snowmobilers

Avalanche class coming to Grand Junction, Colorado

Classes are effective, proven and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, human factors involved in avalanche accidents, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $40 Must sign up in advance

Take the class with those you ride with.

Date: October 29, Thursday
Location: Grand Junction Motor Speedway 3030 North I-70 Frontage Rd Grand Junction, CO 81504. www.gjmotorspeedway.co,
Directions: In Grand Juntion:
From F Road (also called Patterson Road) turn north on 29 Road (toward the desert). Go approximately 1 mile. The road becomes a "Y" - at the "Y" veer left and go over the canal bridge. Continue up and over the next bridge which goes over Interstate 70. Just after the bridge, turn right onto the frontage road. Stay on the frontage road for approx. 1/2 mile. Turn left when you see the entrance sign to the motor speedway.
From Out of State:
Start address: Horizon Dr
End address: "Grand Junction Motor Speedway"
1. Head southwest on Horizon Dr toward Visitors Way - 0.5 mi
2. Turn left at G Rd - 0.1 mi
3. Continue on 27 1/2 Rd - 0.9 mi
4. Turn left at F Rd/Patterson Rd - 1.5 mi
5. Turn left at 29 Rd - 1.3 mi
6. Turn right at N I-70 Rd - 0.8 mi
7. Turn left - 0.4 mi

Time: Thursday 6-10pm

To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA and Ortovox.

Course content:
-Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports.
-Signs of instability/stability analysis.
-Equipment.
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Deploying avalanche airbag packs
-Effective hasty search techniques.
-Mistakes in rescue.
-Group Dynamics/heuristics.
-Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
-Preparing for your trip.
-What to do if lost or injured.
-Stability tests.
-Scenarios.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks for offering this class in GJ again Mike. I will be there for a refresher.
I took this class last year and it is excellent. Everyone who rides in Colorado should take it. Highly recommend! Sending an email to all riding buddies right now. :beer;

Ryan

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Sweet...its cool to see you offering it at so many different locations. Thanks again for spreading the word and helping us as sledders to get educated!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
It's starting to fill up. Thanks to Grand Junction Motor Speedway for hosting the class.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Class is filling fast, only about ten spots left. Please email me if you would like one of the spots. duffyww1@aol.com. Thanks, Mike Duffy

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Only 5 spots left. Discount on avalanche gear for participants. Mike

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for attending the class and giving the feedback. Big Thanks to Stacey Cook and Grand Junction Motor Speedway for hosting the class. www.gjmotorspeedway.com
I'll let everyone know when the avalanche beacon and rescue class will take place at the Thunder Mountain Lodge. Anyone have suggestions for a date?
Thanks again, Mike Duffy

Premium Features