• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

slp pipe package?

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I can get a good deal on the package the only problem is i am running a timbersled intake, I was wondering if i will need a fuel management box? Slp says you can run it with their high flow, is anyone else running this pipe package with a timbersled intake?

Last edited:
C

chip13

Nov 23, 2008
Minneapolis
SLP pipe kit w/intake

With an aftermarket intake and the SLP pipe kit, you will need a Boondocker fuel box.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Thx chip i wasn't sure my sled burns rich and i was just wondering if it was just what slp was saying when they test something a certian way they won't tell you to do it another.

Oct 7, 2008
You should be fine to run the pipe with that intake. My buddy has the same exact setup and it runs just fine even at 2000' elevation.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I sure wish i could find out for sure 1 left at dealer he thinks i will be ok but slp says no, i am stumped i would sure like the extra power but i don't want to have to play around with fuel issue i want to bolt it on and go sled runs good with mbrp can but hp gains would be awsome, i can always add box at a later date.

K
Dec 23, 2007
I can almost watch fuel drip off my plugs, and I have an 08 M8 with the pipe setup, no intake.
It is very rich, so you would be fine I am almost positive.

Do a good pull at elevation.... could even just blast down a trail pinned for 5 or 10 seconds, and check your plugs... I'm sure yo uknow how that works.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Boondocker Box

I would run a box on it with a pipe and intake. The SLP M8 pipe works great though. A buddy of mine was putting marks down with M1000's last Saturday in the Torpy. He is running a pure logic boc but does not have an aftermarket intake.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Ya my thoughts exactly, mine is the same(rich) and i have excellent venting and slp actually says i may need box i don't think i will it will be easy to tell once i run it, if i have to i will buy box at later date thanks for input i just hope its there in the morning.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm in the same boat. My new M8 has a dealer installed SLP single pipe kit. I will be running a BDX airbox.

Fuel controller or no fuel controller, that is the question?

I guess I'll try it without the controller and watch my plugs.

I understand there's a lean spot in the stock fuel mapping somewhere in the 6-6,500 RPM range and to not loiter there for very long?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I havent used either one so this is just my opinion, but the bdx intake looks much better than the timbersled. The timbersled has no way of blocking off underhood hot air, so it is also sucking that in. The bdx intake has a block off so it is only sucking in cold air. The bdx is also lighter.

Oct 7, 2008
The block off plate isn't always the best thing. Just got back from riding 7' - 10' powder, had to take plate off because could not get enough air with it on there.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I realy like the timbersled intake it really woke my machine up its unreal, as far as under the hood heat when you install a timbersled you have to gut your hood i added alot of venting at that time, with the can i have right now and the intake i dropped about 15lbs and gained 5 hp i have no bog at all it works very good. Timbersled claims 8lbs 3hp gain, bdx says the same but don't say about hp gains i am happy with timbersled. Iclimb what kind of regulator are you talking about ? thx going to pick pipe set up right now.

Last edited:
I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Bikeman makes a fuel pressure regulator. You install it in the fuel pump. Comes with a guage you install, get your base line pressure, then you can adjust the regulator for more or less (I think it will allow less) fuel pressure. I think they are about $160 or so. Its not as fine an adjustment as a box but it eliminates the possibility of a box failure.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I am going to buy an slp pipe kit for my 09 xfire 800. I am just going to do a little bit of venting(side vents, flowrites in the shock towers, and maybe vents beside the speedo) otherwise thats it. I ride a lot 0-3000 ft and 4-7000'. I should be alright w/out a boondocker shouldnt I. I havent heard of anyone having problems as long as you dont add anything other than the pipe setup.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Pipe is in

Well i finally got er in it was kinda a pain had to make a special tool to install two inside bottom bolts on the y pipe other than that easy install and the fit is good, i will let everyone know tomorrow how it works out.

pipe pics 001.jpg pipe pics 002.jpg

R
Jul 16, 2008
SLP sealing

make sure that your donut where it conects to the Y pipe is completely sealed i prefer putting the high heat silicone to seal it or else you get exhaust under the hood and the intake starts to suck exhaust and you have major bogging issues also where it connects pipe to the can as well... reason is i had a major bog and i decided to seal my pipe completely with the high heat silicone and it worked like a charm

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Results!!!

Took er out today first of the package works awsome i had no bog no leeks and the power gains were amazing(i only used silicon for cylinder to y pipe conection but i used new donuts on other connections), i took it for a good rip only about 15 mins from truck opened it up before shutting it down to check plugs, the plugs were light grey and dry they were always to dark before so i figured it was going to be ok but i was wrong. I added about a 60:1 mix in my tank rode back to the truck and checked plugs again this time i had a light brown reading but were still dry so i just shut it down for the day it seems i am getting to much air now at least i know the intake is doing its job lol, well i am going to talk to dealer Tuesday see if there is anything else we can do but for now it doesn't look like its going to work without a box. I tell ya though when i get this thing dialed it it is going to rip i am very happy with the performance i felt, and it pulls about 400 extra rpm with same weights in clutch and sounds real sweet. Oh ya today was going to be a epic day fresh powder, sun, -2, pretty upsetting oh well thats how she goes. Get this i just went and pulled my sled off the deck let it warm up a bit pulled the plugs again and they were perfect golden brown i am thinking now that it is leaning out in a certian rpm range i heard of this, does this mean i need a management system? I did rev it high before i shut it down all of the sudden she pulls 8000 rpm.

Last edited:

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
what color do you want to see for your plugs, brown? and do you want them wet or dry? Sorry im dumb haha, but you gotta learn somehow.

Premium Features