• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Axys 800 Turbo, Polaris dealer overwrote flash, not original purchaser, now what?

S
Mar 2, 2009
Subject says it all:
Have a Silber Axys 800 Turbo, Polaris dealer mechanic overwrote flash when updating injector color and oil pump number (now it won't idle, sure sign - oops), but I am not original purchaser, now what do I do?

My understanding is this happens sometimes and they will reflash it, but since I am not the original purchaser... how does that work? I have a Silber dealer within about 40 miles of me...

S
Mar 2, 2009
Is the sled stolen? The story sounds sketchy.
LOL, no... sled purchased used, taken into dealer to update oil pump number (I would hope they check for stolen sleds when servicing since they have the VIN available in their digital wrench), the Silber flash overwritten... obviously since not purchased new, the kit / ECU / VIN isn't in my name with Silber...

S
Mar 2, 2009
I think silber charges 500 to flash. Makes a used kit seem not as good of a deal unless you can get the guy you bought it from to do it for you.
Already knew that going in, but understood that was for when someone sold a kit off their sled and kept their ECU. what about when someone buys a sled with a silber setup already on it and the poo dealer mechanic screws up the flash that WAS good to go?

S
Mar 2, 2009
They sell kits tied to a vin #.
If that is the case, then I should be good to get reflashed, even though the Poo dealer overwrote the Silber flash, the VIN is still the same... so I have yanked the ECU, if I take it in to my nearest Silber dealer, they should be able put the Silber flash back in it without emptying my sled fund for the season? That would be great...

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Try explaining the situation to the Service Manager at the dealer and ask them to attempt to make it right with you. Explain it's going to cost you $500 to re flash due to there mistake of flashing it. ie: I'd imagine they'd try to help you in some way, maybe a case of oil or something.

Side note, did you tell them before hand that this Sled had a custom flashed ECU? If not how would they know not to flash it. Good luck getting it taking care of.

S
Mar 2, 2009
Try explaining the situation to the Service Manager at the dealer and ask them to attempt to make it right with you. Explain it's going to cost you $500 to re flash due to there mistake of flashing it. ie: I'd imagine they'd try to help you in some way, maybe a case of oil or something.

Side note, did you tell them before hand that this Sled had a custom flashed ECU? If not how would they know not to flash it. Good luck getting it taking care of.
Yes, I did tell the mechanic, but that was when I made the appointment and not when I actually brought it in (since they don't let you into the shop area), they felt bad about it obviously, still trying to work through my Silber dealer to figure out what they are willing to do, since the ECU has the VIN in it that was originally flashed it should be in their records... he was supposed to call me back yesterday or today but nothing yet, I know its their busy season. I will follow up...

S
Mar 2, 2009
Progress:
So my local Silber dealer finally got ahold of them and they said they would reflash it for half price, and I told him he should get something for his time too (which is only fair) so it is going to cost me $300 to get it reflashed in his shop... I agreed to it since Silber has you over a barrel basically. Opinion warning (don't care if others agree or not, this is just my opinion): I still don't like it on principal, as to me, if the sled / ECU has been flashed for the Silber turbo with that VIN (which it has), it should be customer support to reflash in the situation where their flash gets accidentally overwritten during maintenance by a dealer, period, which is what they do for the original owner (from what I have heard). Otherwise the kit is useless and the sled is dead unless returned to stock. Anyway, knowing this additional info about used sleds with Silber turbo flashed ECUs already on them (and not just used turbo kits sold in a box without ECU, I get that), I am pretty sure I would NOT buy Silber again, new or used unless it was basically a giveaway. Not having a piggyback controller is nice in some ways but not worth it IMHO, I would look into a different maker such as Mtntk or Boondocker or someone else (depending on budget) for a new purchase.

BUT this time around I will pay (again) to play, lesson learned. Hopefully I can pass on info to others about Silber flash digital wrench caveats...

And when thinking back to when I brought it in to the dealer, with my handwritten list of what I wanted them to do (oil pump number, injector color, gear ratio if possible), I did tell the service writer that it had a custom flash in it and to not reflash... just do specifically what I asked for (the above list). I will follow up with the service manager and tell him how it turned out (so they can learn from mistakes made too) and see if he offers to do anything about it... Expecting nothing but hoping they will try to make it up in some way.

In the end I will be brapping... that's what counts... I will post an update then it is all up and running and I am grinning ear to ear.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Progress:
So my local Silber dealer finally got ahold of them and they said they would reflash it for half price, and I told him he should get something for his time too (which is only fair) so it is going to cost me $300 to get it reflashed in his shop... I agreed to it since Silber has you over a barrel basically. Opinion warning (don't care if others agree or not, this is just my opinion): I still don't like it on principal, as to me, if the sled / ECU has been flashed for the Silber turbo with that VIN (which it has), it should be customer support to reflash in the situation where their flash gets accidentally overwritten during maintenance by a dealer, period, which is what they do for the original owner (from what I have heard). Otherwise the kit is useless and the sled is dead unless returned to stock. Anyway, knowing this additional info about used sleds with Silber turbo flashed ECUs already on them (and not just used turbo kits sold in a box without ECU, I get that), I am pretty sure I would NOT buy Silber again, new or used unless it was basically a giveaway. Not having a piggyback controller is nice in some ways but not worth it IMHO, I would look into a different maker such as Mtntk or Boondocker or someone else (depending on budget) for a new purchase.

BUT this time around I will pay (again) to play, lesson learned. Hopefully I can pass on info to others about Silber flash digital wrench caveats...

And when thinking back to when I brought it in to the dealer, with my handwritten list of what I wanted them to do (oil pump number, injector color, gear ratio if possible), I did tell the service writer that it had a custom flash in it and to not reflash... just do specifically what I asked for (the above list). I will follow up with the service manager and tell him how it turned out (so they can learn from mistakes made too) and see if he offers to do anything about it... Expecting nothing but hoping they will try to make it up in some way.

In the end I will be brapping... that's what counts... I will post an update then it is all up and running and I am grinning ear to ear.
Hey i can cheer you up. I asked my buddy, who owns a body shop, what a headlight cost for a 2018 super duty or is it still bulbs. He called and it was $1457 without labor. Looks to be at least an hour or 2 to change. Also, my daughter backed into it with the defender and broke a little chip out of my tail light. It is $1017.

S
Mar 2, 2009
Is it possible?
that the dealer was unable to do what you asked for without reloading the whole map?
No, the dealer mechanic / tech screwed up... they could have checked and updated the oil pump sequence number without reflashing the map. They could also check the injector color info (and set it if necessary) without reflashing the map. The other thing I asked them to do if they could, check and change the gear ratio for the chain drive would not make the change, so they thought a complete update of the ECU would fix that. Well, it didn't fix that, and wiped the Silber flashed map...

So they COULD have successfully set the injector color and oil pump number, and it would have been fine if they had stopped there.

Followup: My local Silber dealer went to reflash the ECU and it would not take, it said the ECU / VIN belonged to another customer. Well, duh, the guy I bought it from! Even though it had the stock flash back in it, it refused to flash the Silber map back into it. We had no time to mess with it any more so I stuck a different stock ECU in it that had never been Silber flashed, and he was able to flash that ECU... WTH is up with their system that it won't reflash an ECU with a VIN that is already in their system? I will be able to install now, but that is messed up... dealer didn't have to type in my name or anything to my knowledge so it makes no sense.

S
Mar 2, 2009
Hey i can cheer you up. I asked my buddy, who owns a body shop, what a headlight cost for a 2018 super duty or is it still bulbs. He called and it was $1457 without labor. Looks to be at least an hour or 2 to change. Also, my daughter backed into it with the defender and broke a little chip out of my tail light. It is $1017.
Wowza... that is obscene. Yeah, I don't feel too bad, just annoyed because it took so long to go through all the rigamarole. And I could have spent that money towards a TKI or something.

So if I were to have bought the Silber flash cable myself, would that include a flash or not? I would think no, since the cable is 300 and the flash is 500.
In the end I would prefer a piggyback controller...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everything is a racquet. We're always on the wrong end. Nothing dumber than my headlight and taillight. He said there was a car in there with $1600 headlights. Said all the high dollar parts are those and mirrors and tailgates now. The aluminum panels aren't that expensive.

J
Nov 25, 2019
If you gave the dealership written instructions on the work required then they should have called you before they performed any work outside the provided instructions. If issues arose while trying to do the required work then they still should have contacted you.

The dealer should be paying for the reflash.

S
Mar 2, 2009
If you gave the dealership written instructions on the work required then they should have called you before they performed any work outside the provided instructions. If issues arose while trying to do the required work then they still should have contacted you.

The dealer should be paying for the reflash.
I had my written list which I dictated to the service writer... so no proof, I agree they should not have performed something I did not ask for (reflash) but in their defense they did it because the crap software digital wrench would not let them adjust the gear ratio in the ECU (which I had requested them to do IF POSSIBLE) and they thought updating the ECU would let them. It didn't. I am sure that is because the VIN in the ECU is for a belt drive. And nobody ever changes a belt drive ratio... stupid Polaris corporate / software engineers on that one. Coming from a software engineer (takes one to know one LOL).

Premium Features