• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should have done the Grade 8 motor mount bolt upgrade....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
nah the stock mounts were fine, the TMIII and CompFusion mounts were "prevenative maintenence" :D

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
really..

i would just have to assume that your stock crossmember bolts were of coarse stock, and over time just wore out, backed themselves loose, and then coaused the vibration to bounce the crossmember and break it and the bolts..

^^now that is great troubleshooting, LOL!!

well that just goes to show you like you said..the TM crank and Comfusion mounts are simply outstanding!!!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
really..

i would just have to assume that your stock crossmember bolts were of coarse stock, and over time just wore out, backed themselves loose, and then coaused the vibration to bounce the crossmember and break it and the bolts..

^^now that is great troubleshooting, LOL!!

well that just goes to show you like you said..the TM crank and Comfusion mounts are simply outstanding!!!!

Keep in mind, this sled only had 3 or 4 rides on it since I got it back from Carl's Cycle last spring ... They pulled the motor to do a top end job for me as well as put the polyurethane durometers in the mounts for me .... I'm assuming they would have noticed if it would have been broke then.

:eek:

Guess I musta pounded this sucker ther last few rides last year or something ....

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
motor mount

i had the same thing happen to mine
sat down with a new cross bar and some aluminum and made a brace all the way accross the steering cutout the welded it together and put 4 of the comp bolts back in
sorry no pics as it is back in the sled

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
make sure you guys are replacing ALL your front crossmember bolts, and front/rear motor mount bolts this summer if you havent already...

and if you removed your engine or the bolts in question, i'd say....at least 3x..replace with new bolts as they will stretch!!

Also make sure the MAG side REAR motor mount bolt is LONG when you replace it...some stock ones i have seen BARELY cleared the mount itself, and only caught the first 2/3 threads in the motor and ended up stripping out the hole...FYI!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Also make sure the MAG side REAR motor mount bolt is LONG when you replace it...some stock ones i have seen BARELY cleared the mount itself, and only caught the first 2/3 threads in the motor and ended up stripping out the hole...FYI!!!

But not so long that they rub on other parts next to them. (wink)

S
Mar 9, 2010
those bolts become more of an issue the more times they are worked on. I recommend they be replaced with a good brand name bolt when the engine is removed the first time. These breakage issues show up quite often with OEM Polaris bolts....EG: Team adjustment bolts, IQ front engine mounts, 900 cross-member ends.....you get the pic..:)
Does anyone have the size spec of these bolts handy? I don't have access to the polaris dealer site anymore to egt this info.
I would think grade 8 bolts are grade 8. I was told its all about tensil strength polaris doesnt make the bolts they get the same bolts you or i would from a parts store, they are all mass produced. These are not my words this is a quote from somebody. Ive been looking for a grade 10-12 bolt, the next place told me i should use a grade 5 bolt because the strenth is weeker so instead of breaking they will stretch... What a dumb a$$. This was from a company that specailized in bolts. So watch what your told , Im not a bolt master but for rice sakes. Anybody got a story on the gr8 is gr8. Or was i bsed again.

Premium Features