• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Series 5 155 vs Series 5.1 155

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Last spring Polaris told us the changes they made to the series 5.1 and we had reports about it climbing significantly higher than the series 5 on exact same set up sleds.

What are the thoughts from the real world?

Head to head comparisons?

Worth the money to upgrade from a 5 to a 5.1?

No 08 700 155 Dragon's in my area to compare to.:mad:

Kale

S

Scotford

Oct 1, 2007
NW Alberta
I have the 07 D7... 155.... had the series 5.. 1100miles last year and did not like it at all,,, could not climb on hard pack always spinning and when you did climb coming down was very scary like a tobogan ride.:eek::eek:.. now have 500 miles on the new series 5.1 155"... and love it way stiffer,, better pattern,, less trenching in deep powder,, great traction on the climb and decent... all around best 900 bucks I invested in the sled.... ohh besides the turbo...:D:D

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I have a 07 155 and my dad has a 08 155. Both sleds are setup exactly the same and my dad only weighs 5 lbs more than me. We have put them side by side up the same hill numerous times and there is no difference between the two sleds. Best money spent on this sled was the holz rear suspension

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I agree with sawyer.
Wife rides a 07 dragon, I have the 08 700.
We haven't noticed any difference in performance. I am sure there are differences, but I don't think it is a big enough differnce to justify the cost.

Klutch

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
I purchase a 5.1 and I'm gonna try it next time out, I'll post results.

D
Sep 19, 2005
I've seen the 5.1's climb and boondock with other sleds that had more hp and or technically better riders. These other sleds were probably lighter by as much as 20 lbs.....so.....I've gotta believe that the 5.1 is what is making the difference. What else could it be? Snow was the same, clutching will make some diff. but for a stock sled clutching can't be making up all the difference when compared the "slightly" modded sleds. Am I way off base???
My plan this summer was also to look at slapping the 5.1 163 under the 900 if Poo gets the current issue of the track wading up fixed...

P

pwdrhogRMK800

Oct 29, 2002
Casper, WY
I have seen a few of the new 5.1's, they seem to stay on top of the snow a lot better than the 5's.

If anyone has a 155" 5.1 for sale PM me as I would like to get my hands on one...

M
Nov 27, 2007
Last spring Polaris told us the changes they made to the series 5.1 and we had reports about it climbing significantly higher than the series 5 on exact same set up sleds.

What are the thoughts from the real world?

Head to head comparisons?

Worth the money to upgrade from a 5 to a 5.1?

No 08 700 155 Dragon's in my area to compare to.:mad:

Kale

I have a 5.1 on my 07 700 155!

I cannot see any difference with my 5.0!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
between the 5.1 and the 5.0 track dont waste your money. this is my personal opinion from my own experience so take or leave it, not trying to hurt anyones feelings. the new polaris tracks are junk. the lugs are to soft, they fold over in any kind of set up snow and you spin more than you grab, not to mention they are 5-9lbs heavier than the other leading tracks in the industry ie. the powerclaw. if you are looking for a better performing track you need to upgrade to either a camo extreme, or an AC power claw track. i have had multiple sleds head to head 5.0 to 5.1 with the same everything else but the track and there is no difference to be noticed. however, i ran the 5.1 last season and got rocked by an identically set up sled with a powerclaw. the powerclaw track climbs up onto the snow way better than any other track i have been around. the power claw is lighter, and the lug pattern works! my second choice would be the camo extreme, its a little heavier but it hooks up unlike any other. it does trench similar to the polaris 5.0 n 5.1 tracks though.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Jkinzer is right on.

I had the 2007 D7 and now have the 09 D8. The D7 track was a better track as it was not as soft as the 5.1 (single ply). The stock 09 D8 track is total junk. It is fine in the deep snow but sucks balls everywhere else. It will not hook up out of the hole so you will not be able to get good starts on hill climbs and you can loose a drag race to a fan 550! Coming down hill, the 5.1 does not brake well and slides very quickly. The only good quality to this track is the lightweight.

I say you have two options to improve:

1.) By a Camo Extreme like I did. I haven't rode it yet, but everyone loves them so I have high expectations.

2.) Talk to F-Bomb about a track mod to the 5.1. This consists of cutting about 1/4" off of each lug and adding screws for stiffness. I did this on my 2007 Dragon and it made a huge difference!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I had the opposite experience of Bug...

I liked the 5.1 better... Camoplast actually said that the 5.0 track had a softer durometer rubber than the following 5.1's....

The Paddle layout is different on the 5.0 and 5.1 which was the biggest difference.

There are 3 tracks here... the 5.0, 5.1 2 ply and 5.1 single ply.

Also note that Kinzer AGRESSIVELY runs a boosted 800 in some pretty hairy situations.

I currently have the Powerclaw ready to try this year and ran the Extreme last year...
They all have ups and downs to running them... One of them being that the tall lug tracks take some HP to turn.

For most situations ... I liked the 5.1 single ply... It did well in the deep on my non turbo sled but lacked control in downhill spring conditions or wet heavy snow.

F-Bombs track mod IS a great way to stiffen up the lugs on the track and make the track perform better in all but the most dry powder.

When asking questions about tracks... or for that matter, any kind of mod... always ask what kind of sled, how heavy rider, what type of snow, what track length, how much HP etc....

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Kale I know we ride very similar snow in very similar areas. I have to agree with the guys saying that the polaris tracks are not very competitive when compared to the claw or the xtrme. My real world results are hard to compare as my sled is boosted but here is my take.

I ran the old 5.0 on my sled and thought it was ok.. Then I ran next to a very very nice boosted IQR with a xtrme at sonora and it made my sled look silly.. That same day I ran it against a 600T with the 5.1 and we were very close. A few weeks later I was back at sonora and ran into a guy running a 600t efi with an xtreme and again my sled was made to look silly..

(Now take into account I was running stock suspension with nice shocks at the time and these other sleds all had aftermarket suspension) After this outing I decided I had had it. I bought the EZ ryde and an extreme and I can not say enough about how much better my sled is.. Chutes I used to dream and imagine climbing I am now flying out of. The hook up is so much better than anything I have ever rode I cant believe I hadnt done this sooner..
To say the least I WILL NEVER ride another sled with a stock suspension and more than likely will not own any other track (untill I have seen the new light).
I have no real world comparison to the Pclaw but from the reviews it seems to work.

In all I would say spend the money on the extreme as you can get a straight replacement and be happier than you have ever been on a sled..
Take it for what its worth. It is my opinion.. Ride hard!

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Forgot to mention I did the Fbomb screw thing to my 5.0 and was really not that impressed to say the least with the sierra cement and this mod. Not to mention it was not that much fun to do.. I know it works on some snow situations but it didnt seem to help here. I just wanted to add this little info..

Premium Features