• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeking any input-2002 mtn cat won't stay running

P
Nov 30, 2013
I just purchased a 2002 arctic cat mtn cat 800 Efi. I got it out for the first time last weekend and it ran fine for a few hours. But it died on me, and then it would start, and idle fine then die when I gave it throttle. This went on for about 15 min-start,idle,give throttle,die. I towed it in and left it for the week. Now it will not stay running more than 10 seconds and seems to be getting flooded on it's own. I siphoned out the fuel and put in new before riding this season, have checked the air box and it is clear, changed plugs. I'm out of ideas. A friend suggested that a sensor on the throttle body could be shutting it down, but I can't find any sensor. Any ideas would be helpful

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
What were the riding conditions? Cold & dry? Warm & wet? Power valve issue? Throttle safety switch? Did you try to feather throttle to see if you could get the RPMs up and make it run? Did it go into limp mode at all? Do you think it's flooding or starving for fuel? What were the circumstances when it originally died? We're you stopped, cruising or WOT?

Just looking for a little more info...

P
Nov 30, 2013
I ran it for 2 hrs Friday night in moderate-warm temps until I ran it out of fuel in my yard. I put 2 gallons of mule piss in the fuel tank and ran it for an additional 45 min on Saturday( similar conditions, snow was not too wet but not powder). I was not the one operating it when it started acting up. It seems to be too rich; spark plugs drenched in fuel. It was not in limp mode, and I was unable to feather the throttle to increase rpms. Now it will only run for a few seconds and die, seems to be flooding itself

Premium Features