• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary clutch dissasembly

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
So I'm trying to disassemble the secondary clutch on my 1996 Polaris ultra I got the clutch off and got the snap ring off bu the helix won't move at all I fan move the sheaves but even if I do the helix won't spin or move. I can't press down on it, it won't move: the only time I got it to move up a little bit was to take A socket a beat on the inner shaft, the helix was starting to mov e but it took lots of force. What do I do?????? I spray sprayed it down in penatrating oil aswell.

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
Ok I tried tapping it with no luck I tried tapping it with a two pound hammer, if I whacked the inner shaft (where the C-clip was) I was able to move the helix out about 1/2 an inch then it stopped moving.... Now when I go to turn the sheaves it has a bad grinding noise and their inst must spring pressure at all.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
The snap ring will flair out the edges of the groove it sits in, plus most people never pull the secondary apart so it rusts between the helix and the shaft. I've seen them stuck pretty good some times. Try a dab of grease on the inner edges of the helix then use an appropriate size socket (the shaft has to fit inside the socket, but try to stay on the inner metal suface of the helix) to knock the helix back down on the shaft till you expose the groove the snap ring sits in. Take a file and clean up the edges of the groove and some emery cloth and buff the shaft as best you can. Then if you can get a buddy to hold the moveable sheave use a socket like you said you did and give the shaft a few hits. When you get the helix off buff the entire shaft with emery cloth and when you put it back together give the shaft where the helix sits a lite coat of grease so next time it comes apart easier. Good luck, you'll get it.

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
Got it off, it was knurled around the top and had to be ground down like you said. Thanks for the help, BTW do you know how to cure the low end bog on a ultra, it seems like from idle to 4000 it bogs but after 5-8100 she really comes to life. Any ideas? It has a fresh rebuild, Clean carbs, and stock settings on the carbs.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Could be all sorts of things, if your working on your clutches it could be that, or gearing, or carbs, or, or, you get the idea. See if someone who used to run an ultra will chime in here with at least a baseline setup for your elevation. Maybe do a search on ultras and see what you can find.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Got it off, it was knurled around the top and had to be ground down like you said. Thanks for the help, BTW do you know how to cure the low end bog on a ultra, it seems like from idle to 4000 it bogs but after 5-8100 she really comes to life. Any ideas? It has a fresh rebuild, Clean carbs, and stock settings on the carbs.

Chris, I'm working on a 98 700 XCR right now, which is just a rebadged 680 Ultra motor. I found the same bog that I'm working on. So far the best thing I did was change the primary spring to an EPI silver spring, which raised the engagement up to 5000 rpm. According to the old pros on the forums, these triples are really fussy about clutching, so the little things like proper belt to sheave clearance, and belt deflection make a difference. Now I'm trying to track down a set of Boysen or VForce reeds, supposedly they will help out the bottom end on these motors.

What's your gearing? I'm switching from the stock 24-40 to 22-40, hopefully that'll make a big difference.

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
I am running a gold primary spring but it still comes in to mellow, it dosnt hit like my '98 600 XC twin. For gearing i'm running 25-40 because the kid that had it before me used it for search and rescue. But it tops out a 80-85 witch is way to low, my dad actually rides and owns this sled but we really need to get the bottom end cleaned up. I'm going to try to play with the air screws and change the pilots out to a 42 pilot and see what that does.

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
So I did some work on it tonight, I cleaned the choke circuit, 1 choke was sticky and had a bunch of dirt around it. I also synced the carbs and made sure they were opening up 100%. Then I went in 1/4 turn on the air screws and it made a big difference, I also tightened up the secondary to the #4 position. One last thing I did was to blow compressed air through the pilot air screw hole.

Premium Features