• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Scorched piston?

T
I say its fuel. Is your oxygenated fuel wire unplugged??? If you ran with oxygenated fuel and it sat for a month it went flat and you need to unplug the wire. We will see more of thus as fuel quality goes down....Garry

Also did you by chance clean your exhaust valves and install them backwards???

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Lean condition/ Too Much Heat

Well after reading your conditions, I feel you had a lean condition and way too much heat. First off you said it was 55 degrees, no way can that cooling system adequately cool at those temperatures for very long periods of time. You said hard pulls and then backing off throttle for a while. Hard pulls create high amounts of heat, especially if its already lean on efi. So with the hard pulls,and 55 degrees and deep snow which pulls harder also. I think you just burnt it down from being way too hot outside and inside temperatures plus being lean on fuel due to electronic fuel injection sensing the outside weather conditions. low altitude and those conditions need more fuel. You dont even show any piston wash paterns on top of pistons, lean to read you pistons and plugs, or you will do this again. Heat kills 2 strokes. hope this helps. these are only my thoughts.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
If the piston is not hitting the valve, what else could cause the valve to be unable to open all the way? I was thinking the valve got bent from hitting the piston, but if that's not the case, what else might have caused that.
Thanks, Burns.

the melted aluminum from your piston is deposited on your power valve eliminating the clearances required for movement
ps..you indicated loose power valve cable...maybe it wasn;t loose...maybe your power valve was stuck partialy open which as well would make your cable loose..

Last edited:
Premium Features