• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I am thinking about getting an rk tek head, probably the 15 hp drop in kit, and the DD clutch kit. How has the drop in kit been working? Also how difficult is the clutch kit install, about how many hours will it take for a moderately experienced person? Are there big gains from the clutch kit?

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
rkt kit

I help a riding buddy put it on his m-8 and it works well the clutch kit is great i have his m-7-8 bb kit and a clutch kit and the sled rips and the clutch stays cool and is easy to put in i have never done a 09 so i dont know about that one

Yamaha24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
rktech

Cannot go wrong with an Rktech head or clutch kit they both work very well better than other brands ..very easy to install also, the clutch kit can get a little confusing to install your first time,, but is still easy..once you figure it out. put them on and have fun!!!

Yamaha24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
09 kit

I am using the 09 kit, and mine works about 80% of the time,but you need to have the belt at the right tension, there was 2 different 09 kits first one did not work had to send in for the second one updated kit..

00buck

Nov 26, 2007
I am using the 09 kit, and mine works about 80% of the time,but you need to have the belt at the right tension, there was 2 different 09 kits first one did not work had to send in for the second one updated kit..

I took mine off and got one fro BMP .

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
15hp kit info

I addded the 15hp kit It gave me 2 lengths in a drag race, works great.
not sold on the secondary kit as of yet, the reverse works...kinda, lotsa noise etc...I also was riding today and absolutely destroyed a belt, took and hour to get the threads unraveled from my secondary. hope this is not the way its gunna be, its my first blown belt on an M series

B

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Today I also destroyed a belt at 440 mi. It happened while climbing a hill at half throttle. I was just going up the hill to get a line and turn back down and climb the hill behind me. I had just enough speed to turn the sled sideways on the hill and stop. here are some pics.

This is the way I found the belt when I opened the hood and side door.
Notice the belt is inside out?:confused:
DSC02792.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

here is the string in the primary
DSC02797.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

And here is the secondary. I should have taken a pic with the clutch open so you could see how much string was inside.
DSC02798.jpg

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Today I also destroyed a belt at 440 mi. It happened while climbing a hill at half throttle. I was just going up the hill to get a line and turn back down and climb the hill behind me. I had just enough speed to turn the sled sideways on the hill and stop. here are some pics.

This is the way I found the belt when I opened the hood and side door.
Notice the belt is inside out?:confused:
DSC02792.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

here is the string in the primary
DSC02797.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

And here is the secondary. I should have taken a pic with the clutch open so you could see how much string was inside.
DSC02798.jpg

alignment/motor mount issues...

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Have you shot temps of your clutches? I'd guess you are getting alot of slippage in your primary. My primary was quite a bit hotter than my secondary when I ran the green spring cranked up that tight. I backed it off to the lightest setting and haven't had any belt issues at all on my '08. I think in O.A.'s clutch tuning book it said that a belt flipped over could be a symptom of running the belt too high in the secondary (too tight of deflection). Blowing belts......BLOWS. :beer;

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have never checked the temps of the clutches, but when it blew they were not hot at all, they were comfortbly warm. As far as belt deflection, since the sled was new I could not get the belt as tight as I wanted it. I bought the BDX deflection tool and even with it loose(clutch sheaves touching) the belt still didn't seem tight enough to me. The dealer told me it was tight enough. but the belt was new and if I get any wear I won't be able to adjust the deflection. When the belt blew and I put on the new belt (same arctic cat belt)I was able to get the belt to tight with more adjustment left. So maybe there was a problem with the orignal belt.
I like the deflection set to where you might get a little belt squeal at idle. or just tight enough so that when you pick up the back of the sled at idle it will try to spin the track a little. I'm used to Ski-doo and Polaris and have never blown a belt before. I have thrown a lot of string out of the belts and replaced belts (quite abit on the doo) but have never had one do this before.
I was going to replace the belt earlier in the day when a 6 in. piece of string came out of the out side of the belt. But the dealer told me before that if you get a little string cut it and burn it and I should get 1000 mi. out of a belt. When the belt blew the string came from the inside of the belt, the out side was still the same.
I don't think the primary was slipping. The clutching felt good and there were not any black marks on the primary.
Also the first 200 mi. it had an arctic cat 44/40 secondary and it pulled a 2 in. string on the outside.

Premium Features