• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek Head - Installing on M7, any pointers?

ArcticFamily

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
MN
Have an RK Tek head coming for a XF7/M7.

Any pointers on installing or running with this head?

Will be running with Speedwerx single. No other mods, but clutching optimization.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Have an RK Tek head coming for a XF7/M7.

Any pointers on installing or running with this head?

Will be running with Speedwerx single. No other mods, but clutching optimization.

The only pointer that comes to mind is be careful not to take out the o rings that seal the cylinders to the head. The ones I am talking about are about 4" in diameter. If they come out, it is a bugger to get them back in because they seem to be much larger than they need to be. I tried many things to shrink them down including putting them in the snow for hours. I ended up having to buy a whole new O ring set.

Also, if you use a vacum to suck out some of the antifreeze from the hose that goes to the head, the job is less messy.

Other than that, use premium gas and you are good to go.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The only pointer that comes to mind is be careful not to take out the o rings that seal the cylinders to the head. The ones I am talking about are about 4" in diameter. If they come out, it is a bugger to get them back in because they seem to be much larger than they need to be. I tried many things to shrink them down including putting them in the snow for hours. I ended up having to buy a whole new O ring set.

Also, if you use a vacum to suck out some of the antifreeze from the hose that goes to the head, the job is less messy.

Other than that, use premium gas and you are good to go.

what he said, plus on one or two of the very back head bolts you need to make sure to insert them into the head before placing the head onto the jugs, you should see which one when removing the stocker, theres not enough clearance to remove them all the way.

R
Dec 9, 2007
The o-rings can be a pain. Put them in the deep freeze for a while to shrink and stiffen them and then use a little grease to hold them in the oring grooves while carefully installing head.

After my mod, my sled needed double springs to hold the pipe to y-pipe connection together.

J
Nov 26, 2007
minnesota
o-rings

anybody use any other o-rings besides the ones from arctic cat? I have both low and high elevation domes and want to switch back and forth, but don't want to pay 42 bucks for o-rings from my dealer each time

B
Oct 31, 2006
Bass Lake, CA
Definately don't let those o-rings come out... Freezing them didn't shrink them enough. They were just too big to get them back in. I had to buy new ones from Arctic Cat. I couldn't find an inexpensive substitute for the OEM rings anywhere. They are metric.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Same problem with the o-rings here. My advice is before you pull the old head all the way off lift it slightly and make sure that the rings aren't caught or sticking to the head. I think this could be a reason why they stretch out and then it's impossible to get them back in?

If O-ring comes out of head put a little grease on it set it in place then get an old CD (NOT ONE OF YOUR WIFES!!!) place it on top of the portion of O-ring that is in the groove then you can carefully work the excess O-ring slack back into the seat , once in place carefully slide CD off and set head in place right away (some times O-ring pops back out if it sits to long. Cheers.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
if streached to far i have seen and done this ! cut the ring to length and when right length superglue the ends together ! works fine ! but only on the outer o-ring ! not the inner !
mike:D

S

sledhead699

Dec 10, 2007
whitefish, (havre) MT
if streached to far i have seen and done this ! cut the ring to length and when right length superglue the ends together ! works fine ! but only on the outer o-ring ! not the inner !

that doesnt sound like a very good idia. had the same problem with my RKT head tried to go to machine shop and other auto places to match the o rings but i didnt have any luck. gust went to my dealer and order them.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
X2 on the new O-rings. You will have a hard time geting them back in. Kelsey says that if they stay in leave them but if they pop out replace them. He said M7 O-rings seem to "grow" for some reason. I only had trouble with the inners...the outers never came out for me. If they have only been in a short time sometimes they will only "grow" a little bit and you can get them back in, but usually they are about an inch too long! Also pull the lowest 2 head bolts first...it will allow all the coolant to drain down before you pull off any hoses or other head bolts. Makes the job real easy and clean. Good luck!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
So say you want to swap domes from low elevation to high and vice versa...Same deal applies to the gaskets each time you pull the head on it to swap domes out?

H
Just put a Rk Tek head on. Very simple.

Pull the hose on the head and shove the shop vac on for a few min. We had no sign of anti freeze when the head came off. It sucked a lot more out than I thought it would.

Go with the new o rings. pretty cheap and easy to not have problems later!

Dec 11, 2007
pull the pipe and rotate the motor so both pistons are at the same height it the cylinder then pistons will be above the ports so when you pull the head the antifreeze stays on top of the pistons

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
that doesnt sound like a very good idia. had the same problem with my RKT head tried to go to machine shop and other auto places to match the o rings but i didnt have any luck. gust went to my dealer and order them.

i know it sounds like a bad idea but i know of a few performance shops that do this ! they actualy make there own o-rings this way ! i did mine on a last minute wim ( no dealers open )and been riding it for a season and a half no issues ! if u can get new get new ! this is a get u back on the snow when nobody is open solution !

Premium Features