• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riot X Review

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So got out on the 2021 Riot X last weekend in 12" of pow over a hard base. The new 2.6 track is great. It feels stiffer than the 3" alpha track. Maybe a combo of the shorter pitch and the fingers. Even with a 146 I was climbing some steep terrain without it wanting to wheelie out. This track definitely washes out less on a sidehill in more setup snow. I feel in the snow I rode I was able to sidehill even steeper terrain than my 154 Alpha. Track just bites and it almost felt like a 2 rail sled. It didn't want to turn uphill like my Alpha. This 146 single rail and 2.6 track had great traction, so much so it almost felt like it could go where my 153 3" 19 Mountain cat 2 rail could go. But would need to get it in a little bit deeper pow to really judge that.

In the trees on one ski the stock 40" front end was horrible on it. Took a lot of effort to get it where you wanted to go. I even lost it on a super steep turnout in the trees after it wheelied out on me and I went into a sidehill. Ended up pinned under the sled between trees. Couldn't move anything or even reach my radio. Almost suffocated with a face full of snow. Luckily after a few minutes was able to free my head from my helmet pinned under the track. Thank god for a tether. First time in 16 years of riding that I've had a sled on top of me and couldn't move. If it had a more narrow front end, it wouldn't have happened. I feel a 38" front end would be a good middle for the sled and still having good trail manners. But a 36" front end might be easier to source and get the shocks right for it.

The coil shocks were pretty nice and plush on it. I took it off some 10ft drops and it didn't bottom out. The boards are horrible. They have a rail stiffener that adds a higher lip on the outer edge. This makes the board collect snow quickly, especially heavy spring pow. On a steep sidehill the board would pack so quick that I'd stop and try to clean it out, then start going again. Luckily this sled works well stopping and going on steep without wanting to trench or turn uphill. Even with the 146 length.

Electric start will be on my next sled. So nice not pulling it over all day. Really does save a good amount of energy. Could feel the added weight of it on top of the stock can. But with a lithium battery and ti can, I'd be ok with the weight gain for how nice it is just hitting a button to start it.

Overall I'm really impressed with this sled. I'm actually probably going to buy one and put a more narrow front end on it. It was that fun. The wide front end is great on the trail, and I would really buy this sled for more crappy snow conditions, but it's too wide for the steep trees. I'm interested to try the hardcore with the 2.6 154 as well. Cause I think if this 146 felt stiffer and more like a 2 rail manners, that the hardcore might feel similar and make me not want to convert an alpha back to a 2 rail in the future since I have a sled with both a single rail and dual rail currently and like both for certain snow conditions.

Premium Features