• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing DD Driveshaft?

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
I am doing a track swap and have run into an issue. This is on a 2007 CF 800.

I have removed the DD case from the sled and have actually removed the track. The issue that I have is that the drive shaft seems to be seized into the bearing in the brake caliper housing. I have removed the rotor retaining nut with the specal socket that I got from BDE. The brake rotor seems to be loose enough on the shaft to slied in an out a little bit but it contacts the caliper. No problem there. I removed the nuts that hold the brake caliper housing to the chasis and can pull whole unit out till the driver contact the side of the tunnel on the inside.

Like I said before it appears that the drive shaft is seized into the inner bearing race inside the the caliper housing. I could split the caliper and probbaly get the rotor off, but I am not sure if that will really get me anywhere, other than having to re-blead the brakes again when i put it all together again. I am assuming that the drive shaft normally just slides into the bearning and does not have a retaining clip.

Has anyone run into a situation like this and have an easy way to get the drive shaft out of this bearing without destroying parts?

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I am doing a track swap and have run into an issue. This is on a 2007 CF 800.

I have removed the DD case from the sled and have actually removed the track. The issue that I have is that the drive shaft seems to be seized into the bearing in the brake caliper housing. I have removed the rotor retaining nut with the specal socket that I got from BDE. The brake rotor seems to be loose enough on the shaft to slied in an out a little bit but it contacts the caliper. No problem there. I removed the nuts that hold the brake caliper housing to the chasis and can pull whole unit out till the driver contact the side of the tunnel on the inside.

Like I said before it appears that the drive shaft is seized into the inner bearing race inside the the caliper housing. I could split the caliper and probbaly get the rotor off, but I am not sure if that will really get me anywhere, other than having to re-blead the brakes again when i put it all together again. I am assuming that the drive shaft normally just slides into the bearning and does not have a retaining clip.

Has anyone run into a situation like this and have an easy way to get the drive shaft out of this bearing without destroying parts?

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

the shaft is siezed in the bearing, so splitting the caliper will do nothing but make a mess. get a 2x4 and start hammering on it, i recommend bolting everything back to the tunnel first though. Just had to do this myself a few weeks back. wasn't much fun!

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Just take the five bolts that hole the brake to the tunnel and slide the whole thing over. You'll have to work the track over the drive shaft, it's a lot eaiser than trying to get the thing out.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
Getting the 1.25" track out was not that hard by removing the nuts that hold the caliper to the frame and tipping the driveshaft, but the 2" track that I was installing was not as easy to get it to clearance the tunnel.

I ended up resorting to caveman tactics and employed the use of a 4x4 and a BFH. I unleased some pent up frustration and with about 13 wacks of the BFH the driveshaft slid out.

I would recomend that this assembly be pulled apart every couple of years. I cleaned the drive shaft with a schotch bright pad as well as the inner race of the bearing, then lubed it all up with Anti-Seize. This should help with future service if needed.

If I would have waited any longer to get this removed, the only option would have been get the sawsall out and cut the drive shaft.

Premium Features