• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

recoil starter

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
There is a previous thread that several people have addressed this issue.
1. Remove oil pump from recoil housing
2. let the rope pull back into the housing until their is no tension on the spring.
3. Remove recoil housing from engine
4. Place outside face of recoil housing on table and remove center nut that holds center white disk keeper in place and then remove white disk. 5. note location of arm and small spring below white disk, and remove both
6. with no tension in hidden large recoil spring carefully lift up spool containing rope
7. keep hidden large recoil spring flat in it's containment area, lightly apply spray lithium grease to spring
8. Buy new genuine polaris recoil rope, cut length that was same as original.
9. Thread end into tie off point of rope pulley, knot end and seal with gasket maker, let sit for several hours until dry
10. Test wrap the rope tightly around rope pulley to see how much you are left with in the final install. Allow a little extra and cut off rope end making sure you have enough for a full pull on the rope.
11. using 24" of duct tape, wrap 1 end around tip of rope to get a tension grip, and fold duct tape over itself to make it a 20" long flat x 1/2" wide tape with no sticky sides exposed
12. wrap rope and duct tape tightly into spool
13. by keeping rope and duct tape tight, carefully place rope pulley down on large hidden recoil spring so that the bottom open groove in the spool are directly aligned with the bent tip of the hidden spring
14. turn the rope pulley counter clockwise maybe 3 times to give the rope enough tension to keep the handle from bouncing around in it's dash holder.
15. reinstall small spring and arm, and center round disk
16. reinstall keeper nut
17. pull duct tape out of exit hole until rope is exposed
18. temporarily tie knot in end of rope
19. remove tape from rope end
20. carefully undo knot and thread rope behind water hose and up through center pull rope handle hole
21. insert rope tip in handle and tie double half hitch knot that loops twice inside of the tightening loop. (Study the stock Polaris knot that you cut off the rope, and duplicate it.) It is not two separate half hitches.
22. reinstall pull rope housing
23. reinstall oil pump

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Do your best to keep the recoil spring from coming out. You can rewind it and work it back into place if it comes out, but it takes some time and effort. Or so a friend tells me... On the rope, I used some stuff I found on DennisKirk, and it's held up find. I've also heard of some ultra-strength, will never break stuff for five times the price, but that's probably overkill. You should be able to find a few threads with a search. I'm sure the stuff Polaris sells you is fine, but probably the only real difference is the price.

Premium Features