• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear skid

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
Bought a 2016 AXYS RMK 163" and the previous owner installed the EZ Ryde Carve suspension under it. The way it is installed is questionable, as they drilled out the tunnel hangers and now one is broke. Seems like this skid is much heavier than the factory skids, thinking about just purchasing a used factory skid and moving on. I've ridden it for 2 seasons and looking for something different, plus the hangers need to be replaced. I noticed KMOD has some HD replacement drop brackets and a real nice rear skid - I'll likely have around $1500 into getting a factory skid and shocks to replace this one, is there anything else I should be considering? I see KMOD also has a complete skid, twice the price of a used factory outfit but maybe that is the way to go.
Thanks

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
I think you could get a used skid and shocks for a lot cheaper then 1500. One thing to inspect is the factory front torque arm are weak and cracks at the welds. I’d look over any used one really well before purchasing. I welded mine and it’s fine.

As for shocks I would get a set of walker evans mono tubes and have TRS re work them.

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
I think you could get a used skid and shocks for a lot cheaper then 1500. One thing to inspect is the factory front torque arm are weak and cracks at the welds. I’d look over any used one really well before purchasing. I welded mine and it’s fine.

As for shocks I would get a set of walker evans mono tubes and have TRS re work them.
Ok thanks! I'm not familiar with TRS, I'm sure I can track them down. Same shocks for a 155" and 163" or are they different? I think skids are around $600, then shipping, then shocks and miscellaneous other parts (idler wheels, etc).

(y)

S
Oct 27, 2022
LA
Bought a 2016 AXYS RMK 163" and the previous owner installed the EZ Ryde Carve suspension under it. The way it is installed is questionable, as they drilled out the tunnel hangers and now one is broke. Seems like this skid is much heavier than the factory skids, thinking about just purchasing a used factory skid and moving on. I've ridden it for 2 seasons and looking for something different, plus the hangers need to be replaced. I noticed KMOD has some HD replacement drop brackets and a real nice rear skid - I'll likely have around $1500 into getting a factory skid and shocks to replace this one, is there anything else I should be considering? I see KMOD also has a complete skid, twice the price of a used factory outfit but maybe that is the way to go.
Thanks

Pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
If you click on the person's name, look at the bottom of the pop up and it will say start conversation.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Also, that account that said PM joined today so it's probably a fake account.

Ax-ski

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 7, 2021
I noticed that.
I’ll continue to try to figure out how to pm lol
The pop up window gives me the ability to “follow” or “ignore”, nothing else.
Same thing as what I'm getting to the t haha. You don't have to have a subscription do you?

X
Oct 8, 2009
Replace the hangers, pay for the turnkey kmod, don't look back. If you don't understand suspensions and how to install them, you are messing with a can of worms. The ez ryde is a great skid, but you have to install it correctly to get it to work correctly. If you know someone that can do the install correctly and fix the sled, keep it. Ez rides don't use the same factory mounts. The kmod requires some changes too, but they both way outperform factory in the mountains. If you're trail riding, factory works unless you are too heavy and collapse the shocks. I'm 225 without gear, so I went to a kmod after blowing out 2 sets of proclimb fox shocks. Plus, Kevin is great to deal with post sale. Any issues come up and he will always help you get things figured out. Furthermore, kmod components are all factory quality finish but much stronger. Kmod probably makes rear mounting brackets for your sled, so the install is simple. I recommend calling Kevin just to talk things over with him. If he cannot help you with your goal, he will tell you that. But, he definitely can.

Last edited:
T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
The EZ Ryde Carve sure looks great, has a nice set of adjustable shocks on it, but the installation looks to be the culprit here. The track angle in the front is different, it meets the snow more flat and further back toward the rider if that makes sense. When I put a stock sled next to mine, you can see the difference. A factory unit seems to have more track on the snow, and if you measure, I bet the stock setup has 3-4” more track on the snow. I’ve had a couple suspension guys adjust it and it seems like it’s about as good as it can get. With the hanger being broke and the way it’s drilled out above the eyelet hole and attached there, I’m just gonna move on. It will be for sale soon lol. I purchased a skid with ice age rails, and I am gonna put a set of Raptor Kinetic’s on and see how that works. A couple days ago I could have been talked into the Kmod unit, but now I’ve talked to Jake at Raptor and the other skid is being delivered today.

Premium Features