• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Bogie Wheels

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Just got my rear skid dropped in yesterday. Went with the Holz skid with the Fox Zero Pro's, Ice age rails, and 9" rear billet wheels. Now im wondering exactly how many bogie wheels do I have to run? Im not huge into the EXTREME weight savings but I don't mind shaving the easy pounds. Would keeping just the inner 2 wheels surfice or should I put them all back on? Its an 06 900 151.

Thanks,
Nolan

R

RmkMtnRider

Nov 26, 2007
Boise Idaho
Depends on what type of snow conditions your riding in. If your ganna be in powder then the 2 wheels are fine. But if you do a lot of trail riding and hard packed then put them all back on.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Scratchers for the front, keep middle ones on, Run the two inners. (Get rid of the front ones)

When you go out west take the middle ones off..........

PS whos wheels did you go with?

Last edited:
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Ice Age wheels. Great fit and finish and cant say enough about their customer service!

Seems like the scratchers wont cover my hyfax towards the front of the sled? They seem to throw the snow towards the middle/back and U-cooler area. Can I get away with just the inner 2 along with the front two? Or would it be better to have the 2 outer wheels and the front wheels removed?

-Nolan

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Nolan..

looks like you got a sick skid setup..

"my" 900 has the front idlers on each side with scrathers behind them and thats all..and i have no issues at all...and i ride 60/40% powder/trail and been great..

my .02

good luck on the build bro. keep me posted.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
on my dragon i moved the front idlers to the inside of the skid (had to re drill holes to make it work) but i didnt want to lose all the wheels completely and i did that to the idlers before the rear wheels but i landed hard on them and wrecked my torsion bar blocks so i took them out but other than that no problems. As for the rear wheels just run the two inner ones. i have ran hard packed trails in idaho in late march mornings and no issues with heating or hyfax as long as you use scratchers and use a bit of common sence.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Sounds great everybody. Think I'll stick with the setup your running Sean. Seems like a fine way to go. Anybody know of a creditable company that makes the smaller billet wheels? I really dont want to run my red wheels when NOTHING on my sled is going to be red anymore.

-Nolan

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
ive never looked into any billets but if you dont want the red you can pop the red incerts off it wont cost you anything but a few miuntes of your time. But it won't look as nice as billets will.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Top , very nice thanks for info, PS would have been a nice touch to have had your girl freind taking the pic say naked or something like that, nice polish job

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
OK, first thing is what's your snow conditions. if riding decent snow then ditch all the wheels, add scratchers, and then take a 3/16" drill bit and dimple the bottom of your hifax and lots of them like 3 holes per window. Drill them to the same depth as the "replacement indicator" line on the side of the hifax. An old trick from the days when I raced ice. Ever wonder how sleds can go 50 + miles on solid ice and not melt hifax?

This holds small ice chips and snow and as it warms lubricates your clips. No wheels disperses the weight more evenly across the hifax and therefore doesn't produce pressure points that wear out more quickly.

Now if you do a lot of hard cornering trail riding then keep your inner wheels on and do the above.

Scratchers although they seem to only spray your coolers and the back half of your skid will stir up enough snow and ice chips that get carried to the front of your track via the top half of your track. Not quite as much but enough to do the job.

Premium Features