• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raptor Triple Rate Springs Debunked

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Guys there’s been some discussion about our multi rate springs so I thought this might help clear the air and explain why we do what we do. There’s a tremendous amount of engineering that goes into designing a spring both from a packaging standpoint and from a performance-durability standpoint. Snowmobiles can be difficult to design around simply due to the envelope that you work in from the amount of working travel a spring needs to have too the linkages that need to be packaged around it all plays a huge part in the given characteristics that you’re looking for. As most know our springs be it duel or triple rate are wound in one continuous coil which is quite different than the individual stacked springs that you see in the market place today. Our springs not only eliminate the need for heavy transition collars but eliminate the mechanical bind and parasitic loss that you get from the collar wearing on the side of your shock body.
As you can see in chart 1,2 and 3 the blue line (stock) is what we refer to as a linear spring. These springs are very basic in design and let’s just say it’s a 100# per inch of travel that would mean that every inch of travel it would increase by 100lbs. so 1.0 = 100 2.0 =200 3.0 = 300 and so on until you reach your total working travel. What a multi-rate spring allows us to do is decrease the initial rate by a given value and increase the second and third rates by a different value. As you can clearly see on graph #1 at about 4.0 inches of travel is a distinct knee at which point the spring transitions into another rate and the spring becomes significantly stiffer. The key is to know when and how hard to transition the spring this is done based on motion ratios and other key formulas along with an abundance of in field testing. The last two graphs depict our soft spring compared to the production spring. Graph #2 is a simple overlay of the two springs and you can see the difference in the load throughout the entire range this spring will allow you more compliance over smaller events due to the lighter initial rate. The main take away from graph #3 is that even though you have a softer initial rate you can significantly alter the load by simply adding preload to the spring. This is why it’s crucial to adjust your springs in small increments (like 1/8th inch) at a time until you find your sweet spot. I hope this helps take some of the mystery out of multi rate springs and if you want more detail let me know and if this is a complete waste of your time let me know. Thanks RPS
TRS spring kits $280.00 (four TRS springs firm or soft, cool adjuster wrench, sled decals, tuning notes)
Reserve now to eliminate back orders.

TRS Spring 1.jpg TRS Spring 2.jpg TRS Spring 3.jpg

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Raptor

Hey no problem! We want to make this intuitive enough for people to get there head around multi pitch springs and I feel the best way to do this is to try and depict it from an engineering stand point and this is the same charts-graphs that we have used for several years to help us design several different setups. If anyone has questions or comments feel free to post or PM me. Thanks RPS

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Wouldn't triple rate springs result in two knee points in the graphs instead of only one for each line?

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Raptor

Yes that is correct you would usually see multiple knees in the graph depending on how many rates you are shooting for the only time it’s difficult to see is if that particular transition is very short. These graphs are more theoretical and do not depict our actual spring rate for the Pro.
As far as using multiple springs and transition collars I can’t comment on the end user’s cost it’s based on however many springs they would need to have shipped to them to meet their requirements? Our customers depend on us to do the math for them and supply products that they don’t have to mess with other than a clicker adjustment or maybe a turn or two on the spring, that doesn’t cost anything. Hope this helps.
Thanks, RPS

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Jake,

Do you have the means to graph the ACTUAL charts of your soft vs firm vs stock? I think that a lot of people would like to see that. Myself included.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Jake,

Do you have the means to graph the ACTUAL charts of your soft vs firm vs stock? I think that a lot of people would like to see that. Myself included.

I agree. I have fox zero pros on the front of my nytro, and a Kmod skid in the rear (gen 1) and I am thinking about getting your spring kits.

I would like to see something similar to what is actually going to be shipped out, even if it is only a representative example.

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Raptor

We will have all this info on our site in the next couple of weeks along with jounce bumper data and the characteristics that they give you. Our front springs are a direct replacement for anything that you’re currently running on a Z-pro shock. The only thing you need to do is make sure you have enough adjustment for a 12.0” spring other than that they will work fine. How do you like the performance of your Kmod skid? I’ve had them in at least six different sleds and had the opportunity to ride them in several different conditions along with a couple of the other suspension suppliers.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
TTT... Will the front triple rate springs on ur website fit a walker evans needle shock like on the 2010 Assault? And is that $60 for the pair or each?

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Yes our springs will work with both Walker piggyback shocks along with Walker non adjust mono tubes. Price = $60.00 ea. and we have most of our rates in both black and white colors. Thanks for the question!

RPS

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Wanted to kick up this thread again.

Anyone out there test out triple rates? I am wanting to replace the stock coils on my '14 XM.

Premium Features