• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Race fuel brands?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I need to get a barrel of 110 race fuel and am wondering if any particular brands are better quality than others.

I have easy access to Sunoco Standard 110, VP 110, and Rockett 111. The VP 110 is the best price out of the three at about $6.81 / gal.

Boondocker Performance specifically says to avoid VP fuel which is surprising to me, as I was under the impression they set the standard in the race fuel world.

Any input is appreciated.

I do not want to run AV fuel at this point.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Never had any experience with any of them, but Sunoco is/was the official race fuel for our circuit. They have given a ton of it out and I'm assuming all the guys that get it are using it. Never heard anything bad, so I would assume you would be pretty safe. Not sure why BD would say to avoid VP either, but they know way more than I do. My .02

racer

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
BD says that the VP fuel doesn't test out to the actual octane rating you are buying, so 110 doesn't measure out to be 110.

I ran sunoco 110 in my TNytro without any problems up to 15/17lbs of boost without a headshim.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
BD says that the VP fuel doesn't test out to the actual octane rating you are buying, so 110 doesn't measure out to be 110.

I ran sunoco 110 in my TNytro without any problems up to 15/17lbs of boost without a headshim.

Interesting. When looking at the three fuels listed above the motor octane is basically the same across all three (about 106). The boondocker directions were specifically recommending Sunoco 112 for use when tuning. Just seemed strange that they would NOT recommend the brand that most seem to think is the best stuff out there (vp).

C
Feb 23, 2011
they are all rated close enough to the same. The reason VP gets the thumbs down is because theyre fuel can be dirty. not dirty like has chunks floating around but it does have the highest contaminant levels. I have a friend who works in a laboratory that samples natural gas and all the byproducts so we had a little extra credit work done on fuels. VP was filthy, sunoco was great, but the hands down winner was good 'ol AV gas.

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
AV gas is for air planes not 2-stroke snowmobiles. If you have a motor built for race fuel or a rg turbo kit run the good fuel don't cheap out. VP is the only fuel to use I've been running it for 10 years in sleds with zero fuel related engine failures.

M

mastertech

Mar 24, 2009
Cambridge/McCall Id.
www.snowestonline.com
AV gas is for air planes not 2-stroke snowmobiles. If you have a motor built for race fuel or a rg turbo kit run the good fuel don't cheap out. VP is the only fuel to use I've been running it for 10 years in sleds with zero fuel related engine failures.

As a pilot, mechanic and a sledder... Please explain to me why AV-Gas shouldnt be used in sleds?

I have run Av-Gas for many many years.. It is way more controlled and regulated. You wont find a fuel out there that is consistant and clean.. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Kinda old, but figd I'd add my experience.

I've run all three fuels mentioned. Of the 3 my favorite was the rocketbrand. Had great luck with it, and at the time it was the cheapest. Rocketbrand was derived from the old Phillips fuel chemists. (from my understanding they started rocket when Phillips quit)

VP would be my second favorite, followed by Sunoco.

Pick one though and stick with it, you will notice jetting differences. Rocket and VP were fairly similar, Sunoco seemed to require a few bigger jets, and is way more difficult to read on pistons.

All 3 good fuels tho. If you are blending with pump fuel, I really liked the rocket for this as it is dyed red and theirs no second guessing if you forgot to blend or not.

Never run AVgas so I have no experience with it.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Some say the engines were not designed for the lead content but the lead is for lubrication and as a mechanic I can,t see how it would hurt an engine, a riding buddy has a 03' trx1 over 10,000km on av gas and not one engine issue to date. Have heard of guys needing to replace the Bosch air/fuel sensor once a year from running av gas.

Premium Features