• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about Rails.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
To plainly answer your question, NO

The 99 was the xtra lite skid and the 03 would be the edge skid, lot's of differences.

You could probably drill the 99 rails to fit the 03 skid though.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Actually, I bellieve edge rails could be made to work on an xtra lite by drilling a couple of holes. The profiles are very close to being the same. Unfortunately, the 99 RMK still had xtra 10. The xtra lite didn't come out until 2000. I don't believe edge rails could be made to work on an xtra 10 just by drilling (although it might be possible if you leave out the coupling blocks).

Basically, you have to compare the profiles of the rails and make sure there is material everywhere you need it (air is easy to drill but hard to bolt to). Personally, I would just keep an eye out for an xtra lite or an edge skid, and sell the xtra 10. From what I've read, the xtra lite is a direct bolt in swap for the xtra 10 (I'm going to find out for sure later this summer because I'm going to be doing that swap).

I got great deals on ebay this spring for both a 144 xtra lite and a 144 edge skid (both came off of RMKs). It took a couple months of checking ebay regularly.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
I have an 03 skid under my sled and an extra-10 suspension (complete) for sale. On a side by side comparision The front arms are a different length and the rear scissors are a different geometry and have different features to control coupling different ways. The 03 rails don't have a place to locate the extra-10's front and rear scissor stops. The 03 uses mechanical features on the scissors and a bar to do the same job.

Functionally the suspensions work similarly, they just do the same thing two different ways. So...the answer is yes, you can make it work. Just make sure you know what you are doing and the functionality of one suspension transfers to the other. It is not going to be a simple bolt up tho.

Because people play with "rolled chaincases" and radically alter the approach angle of the track, skid profile is a relative non-player, other than you might need an anit-stab kit if you really change things. Pay attention to what the short extra-10 arm does to the location front of the skid. You might have to relocate the suspension fwd or aft to so you don't run into problems that way. Forward and aft position of the rear scissors is also not important since polaris uses the same suspension locations on a 151 and a 156...to a degree....but make sure the geometry is what you want. If you lay down the scissor forward this will hold down the ski's and if you stand it up, it will colapse easier with more ski lift. Make sure motion of the rear scissors is controled in some way so that it can't invert or collaps against the track as a minimum. You would have to come up with some hybrid method of controling coupling that is suitable for you.

Premium Features