• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull Starter Rope

J
Nov 7, 2009
I just installed 3/16" AmSteel Blue (mine is gray in color) synthetic winch rope in my 01 Polaris 800 XCSP yesterday.

Was a little more difficult (but not a problem) to install than normal starter rope because it is a looser braid than OEM. Harder to feed through the holes in the recoil spool, handle etc. but got it done with a little extra effort.

Put about 7' in it and it would have held more. This is pleanty of length to make a full pull and then some.

WAY too early to tell about durability, but seems to work just like OEM in operation.

rrob311: I would think(but am speculating) that the 4mm size should work fine for your sled and the smaller size should make it easier to install.

J
Nov 7, 2009
I did another 3/16" AmSteel install yesterday, this time on my 96 Polaris XCR 600 SP.

It was difficult to get it through the hole in the spool reel, but I got it through.

I was not able to get it through the bushing in the housing or the recoil handle (not the OEM one for this sled) and I had to drill them out slightly to get the rope through.

This sled pulls MUCH easier than my 800 and I suspect OEM may use a smaller diameter rope. This may eplain why I was able to get it through on the 800 Twin, but not on the 600 Triple.

I suspect that 4mm AmSteel would have probably have gone through the holes OK and still be pleanty strong for this (or probably any) sled.

I found one place that sells the 4mm (5/32") Amsteel and it is rated at 4000 LB tensile strength (vs 5400 for 3/16") Not sure of stock rope tensile strength, but I suspect it is WAY less than 4000.

Dec 3, 2007
The Problem with Snythetics

A couple of the issues with synthetics: 1. Wear- not on the rope, but on other parts. Especially if you go with small diameter. It will cut right through. 2. Knot holding- syns are notorious for slipping knots.

Premium Features