• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ptec 800 carb heat

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
I am helping a bud rebuilding an 08 Summit 800 PTEC. The previous owner looks to have cut the coolant lines to the carbs. (If I am making this up and this is not how the PTEC works just tell at me as I have never worked on or rode Skidoo before.) My buddy had ridden the sled for some time before he blew it up and it never leaked or had carb freezing issues. Any idea why this mod would have been done and should we add engine heat back to the carbs?
Thanks

I
Nov 14, 2018
Mechanicaly Carb heat makes sense from the factory. But can also see someone removing it when they don't live in an epic cold area. Way up north Canada vs WA state both have snow but one place is -40 the other a balmy +8.
Riding and sucking in massive amounts of cold air.

Photo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Working on the carbs is a real pain with the coolant lines connected. I've never had the carbs freeze up on a ptec & have removed & plugged the lines on most of the sleds I've worked on. If you live in an extremely cold area, it may be different.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Recommend if you are in Colorado to put it back in place. The fine powder we get can and will cause the carbs to freeze. Been there at times and turning on the heat cures it. Spring time definitely turn it off. There is a valve that is place between the head and carbs on the PTO side. Peter

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah I rode my 06 in Alaska, glad I had the heat. A few times after hitting the real deep pow the carbs would tend to "hang" a bit, flipped the heat on and would settle down nicely

Premium Features