• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutch won't budge..Any ideas on removal.

M
Apr 3, 2009
Hello, I just bought a '02 RMK 800 Edge and can't remove the primary. I have a 02 RMK and the clutch slips off with no problem. I am using the proper clutch tool (i'm not that new to this), and lots of impact (air) and it won't come off. Any ideas? Do I need more of an impact gun. Using about a 60 gallon tank (at our mechanic shop) and a snap on gun.

Any ideas would help. I want to get it off to have it balanced by SLP.

Thank you...

M
Apr 3, 2009
Got it off.

Did some grease and sprayed some lube, put some teflon tape on the puller and started cranking on the breaker bar turned my head for a sec. and heard a loud pop..It popped off. Got some ideas around here.

Thanks all....

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
suggest filling the hole where the clutch puller goes full of grease, then inserting clutch puller.

Did the trick on mah 900.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
ditto on the hammer, never had it fail , use a 3 pounder thou and hit the puller not a socket over the puller, a little grinding now and then doesn' hurt anything

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
Fill hole with grease and insert puller this is adding hydraulic pressure. Hitting with hammer may work but you also may be put crank out of alignment. Even the impact wrench would not be recommended. when you have your crank rebuilt or alignment checked and adjusted they hit it with hammer to get all lined up.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
NO HAMMMERS or IMPACT Guns yeah it works but your crank is taking a beating and your already talking about a crank that has issues. Fill it with grease and try that. if it still won't work leave the grease and the puller in it and start to heat the clutch carefully and don't stand in front of it. the grease will expand and the clutch will come off and if may be fairly violent about it.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Hammers and impacts are definitely something to "Never do" unless you're tearing down the entire motor. You would be surprised how little it takes to twist a crankshaft or knock it out of "true". After that, your motor is a ticking time bomb. One other method not mentioned is filling the cavity in the clutch with water, plugging it with a bolt and letting it freeze. I've used this method on clutches that have been overtorqued or torqued multiple times, in situations where a puller breaks and leaves pieces inside the clutch, etc. Properly done, the clutch will always come off and there is no chance of doing mechanical damage to the motor. Be cautious when doing this, as the clutch sometimes comes off forcefully - my freezer has a pretty good dent inside it from a badly stuck clutch coming off!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
x2 on not using a impact or hammer, super hard on your crank and bearings.

a really long arm and some heat get the most stubbern of clutches, had one on a 05 1000 that i swear wasnt off since the day it was put on and it flew off and rolled across the garage with my 240lbs on it and a 4 foot arm

Premium Features