• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutch Springs for King Cat?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Does anybody have a chart that shows the various spring colors and how you select one for your purpose? Guessing elevation, etc? I'd like to put a fresh one in my recently-acquired 2004 King Cat; the one in it is gray or silver in color but that color doesn't show up in any of the googling I've found. I did find a list of spring pressures but I have no idea what to choose. Kinda lost here.

Help please? Thanks.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Silver was our preferred, believe it was a speedwerx, but it’s been a minute.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Those older Cat springs could also be swapped with Polaris springs too. Polaris and Cat rates measure at different heights though. Would be a pretty large chart if someone compiled all the aftermarket and OEM options between the two.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Silver would probably be the stock Titanium one that came in those. Equivalent to Yellow/White Arctic Cat. If you take it out it will weigh next to nothing if the original Ti one.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Anybody have a link where I could buy one of these?

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Rob the OEM number was an 0646-373 not sure if they are even available spoon I thought it was equiv to yellow/green ?? IDR( I don't remember) exactly, suppose I could go look at my 05 and see think 04-05 should be the same??

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Yeah that's the stock P/N... cheapest one I've seen is $211 (if it's even available; at that price I didn't even check). I did some more searching and discovered it's a 114/267. I'd love to find an aftermarket equivalent, even if it's a Polaris spring as some have suggested.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Try speedwerx since they are the cat gurus they probibly have something close , amazingly my 05 with 6,000 miles still has the original titanium primary spring , engagement is spot on as well as top Rpm with a CPI single at 7850 or their abouts , I rode the ole gal a few times this year when I didn't want to get my azz kicked by the Alpha lol still love the torque just not near as nimble as the Alpha !!

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Hmmm... maybe my KK's is still good then at 2350 miles? I won't know til I ride it though. Since this sled is for my daughter, I really want it to run correctly the first time out so we don't go out all excited to ride and end up having to turn back, or worse, tow back.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
I had several friends who got 4,000 plus on those or springs I am really meticulous on my clutch maintenance so maybe that helps no signs of any clutch issues on that sled , I did do some of the mods to the weights so they won't eat the spider etc maybe that helps ??

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Oh beautiful, thanks!

Now... it says Polaris P-85. Do you think this would fit my '23 Khaos 850 with the P-85? Not sure what rate it uses though. Would love a couple of spares for it too.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Call speedwerx sure they can answer that I know alot of those clutch components were interchangeable prolly a different spring rate cus of a different motor!!

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
That would be hilarious if the springs ended up being the same dimensions. I'll call. Thanks a BUNCH for the help!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ti springs don't take a set and drop RPM over time like a steel spring and are more durable to fatigue breakage than steel too. So unless they break for some reason there's no reason to replace them. The downside is the cost.

The speedwerx H5 springs are supposed to be a middle ground between regular spring steel and Ti springs. I broke one of those last year on my Ascender though with less than 500 miles on it. So they aren't perfect either.

Premium Features