• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch falls off

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
900 based bigbore, primary clutch keeps coming off. Tightened the heck out of the clutch bolt, cleaned crank stub. Make it about 3 miles, then it comes loose. Going to check crank run-out tomorrow. If I had the wrong clutch would it still fit on well enough to move the sled? I think it is the 33 mm crank(the clutch has set screw pins).

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I think all the set pin clutches were 33mm . I doubt you have the wrong taper. Maybe the clutch is very unbalance or a flat spot on your belt. I just tighten my clutch to 55 lbs. run it and rev it up a few times, then retorque it. Are you sure that your socket is not too big on the outside and you are wedging the socket instead of tightening the bolt.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Here is some more history. Two rides on the sled last year, no problems with the clutch. Three rides this year and no problems with the clutch, just the spacer in the piston. It had some fun in the crank area, made its way up and lodged in the reed. New pistons and cylinders, no real damage to the crank, and the case just has some nicks; not bad though. However the crank was out of the case.

I am thinking the runout is way out and causing the clutch to be out enough that it loosens the bolt after 3 to 8 miles. This theory is furthered by the amount of vibration that the sled has when you are riding it. It has torque stops so the vibration is transferred to the entire chassis. It vibrated before more than what I would like, but it seems worse now. It is in a Polaris Gen2 chassis with an M-10 suspension.

No, it is not my Purple Money Eater.

Any further thoughts would be great.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
All fixed pin clutches are not the 33 mm taper. If u had a 30 mm clutch I don't think it would even go on. 800 and 900 twin cranks are the same except the 01 800 which is 30 mm. Like others have said check the run out and make sure ur getting the bolt torqued.

Sprocket

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Checked the runout, it is 0.003. Inspected my primary clutch, one of the set screws had loosened off and the weight had moved to the side. Thinking that this was the cause. Is the runout within spec?

Runout

The crank runout needs to be checked approx. 1/2" from the end of the crank and should not exceed .002 in. Sounds like you need to pull it and have it trued
and welded.
With the BB done on it I would highly recommend True and Weld anyways. You need to get it done befor you cause any real damage.

Premium Features