• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderhounds

M
Dec 23, 2007
Washington
How good are the Slydog Powder Hound skis? Anyone got any reviews? thinking bout buying some and just wondering how good they are in the deep, sidehilling, etc.

Thanks

A
Dec 19, 2007
ive heard that they are the best skis to buy and also heard that you can carve on hardpack snow and its effort less to carve with the skis

W
Mar 16, 2008
Newport,MN
I ran my set twice and I like everything about them. Worked good in the deep and were nice on sidehilling. I am selling my pair to get a different color-they are orange/black/white with the skulls. PM if interested.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
I love mine. They make carving almost too easy and are a huge upgrade from stock. With stock skis I could barely hold a circle on hardpack and now the only thing that stops me is my energy.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I've had two pair (both on M chassis) and I won't go back to anything else. Wider than stock, lighter than stock and better carbide choices. They are reasonably priced and you can get them from any dealer that has a Western Powersports catalog. Two thumbs up from me.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
ran the 1st ( Narrow 6") slydogs set on my05 m7 for 2 years
When the wider 7" powder hounds came out in 07 I ran them on my m1000

Still have both sets- and also simmons..
Hands down the Slydogs skis hounds are the lightest and carve the easiest.
Down a rutted trail the Simmons preform better- but the dog's are better than the stock skis for the rut's

But in the Powder- the dog's carve easier- absorbe the bumps- flex and return- and overall are a good value..

Buy the dog's-and leave the others on the porch.....:beer;

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
My experiance with Slydog ski's was not exactly a good one. Granted I did not have the Powder Hound design, I was running the race ski. I was very dissapointed with them. In the powder they worked ok, however getting to the powder was another story. The ski's just were not nearly aggresive enough. Pushed terrible in the corners. Also had trouble keeping the little rubber "puck" under the spindle in place. Trust me..when they pop out bad things happen. I borrowed a pair of Powder Pro's last season. Much better ski in the powder and plenty aggressive on the trail. They get my vote!

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Another option...

For what it is worth, I have two sets of slydog powderhound skis hanging in the garage - I didn't care for them. On the M1000 I liked MODS the best, my wife prefers USI's Triple Threat skis on her M8. I tried the USI's on the M1000, they were a good ski for me as well. Others I have tried on the M series are:
Simmons, C&A Pros, Ski-Doo's 6.9 Pilot skis (which worked very well on the 1000 - likely due to the extra weight of the motor). It really depends on what you are looking for - I like a "light" ski - others prefer a heavier feel. The slydogs are ok, but I felt that they didn't offer the performance in the powder I was looking for (less float that the USI's or the MODS). To each his (or her) own.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Agreed... The powder hounds worked well on the REV chassis.. on the M chassis they worked great in the DEEP powder but on the hard packed they had issues.. In spring riding conditions they were flat out scary to ride with..
Nicely built ski ...but on the M chassis... the MODS (www.modsskis.com) work much better nd are my ski of choice.... On the Rev chassis the Powder hounds seem fine..

I have a couple of sets I would let go also..

Kelsey

M
Dec 23, 2007
Washington
ran the 1st ( Narrow 6") slydogs set on my05 m7 for 2 years
When the wider 7" powder hounds came out in 07 I ran them on my m1000

Still have both sets- and also simmons..
Hands down the Slydogs skis hounds are the lightest and carve the easiest.
Down a rutted trail the Simmons preform better- but the dog's are better than the stock skis for the rut's

But in the Powder- the dog's carve easier- absorbe the bumps- flex and return- and overall are a good value..

Buy the dog's-and leave the others on the porch.....:beer;

yeah im going with the mutlicolored dogs. Thinking all white with black swirl. my sled is all black. its either that or black with green swirl. dunno yet though

Premium Features