• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris xlt cylinder bores

G
Nov 24, 2008
i had to tare down my engine because of a broken crank

upon inspection i found that the pto cylinder piston had a 1.00 stamped on it well the other 2 had 0.50 stamped on them

the pto is larger.........why would someone want to bore the cylinders differently and would this not put more stress on the crank

crank broke under pto rod

and would this be worth while to fix?

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Someone in the past took the cheap route.....I doubt it contributed to your crank going south. More likely, debris from a previous seizure got into the bottom end.....I've seen guys to a top end to fix a seizure, only to have the lower end go a year or two later......

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
raced many a xlt,xcr motor with different boring, it never hurt anything, didn't help didn't hurt. suspect your crank problem to do with lots of miles on seals ans summer storage but as long as it's down drill the holes in the case out t allow more fluid to hit bearings

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Bigger bore piston = more weight making it off balance. I personally won't run anything like that and call it good. I'd fix it up for sure, I want to buy an XLT this summer due to fuel economy and reliability.

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Bigger bore piston = more weight making it off balance. I personally won't run anything like that and call it good. I'd fix it up for sure, I want to buy an XLT this summer due to fuel economy and reliability.

I'd have to agree with marv. When we were racing the drag circuit my '95 xcr6 had the mag cylinder go down with pretty heavy damage. I wanted to just fix that cylinder cause i was a kid on a budget. The engine shop said no way, the only way was to make them all the same. So I did, and being i was on that budget we bored all three .02 over, added new heads, porting and pipes. What a transformation!

Premium Features