• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Throttle block. How to remove?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
The throttle block on my 03 RMK is busted. I have another to put on it, but my question is: How do I take one off and replace it with another w/out removing the grip? Doesnt seem to me it will slide over the grip.. Dont want to remove and have to replace the heated grip over this.. Any options here??:D

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
you have to remove the grip... just take an air gun and blow the grips off... shouldnt hurt your hand warmers at all

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
there is a set screw on the bottom of the throttle block that also has to be loosened

I knew this part.. I've got the taking off and putting on part "how to" down.. I just needed to know if there was any way (that I didnt know of) for swapping the stupid block and not having to remove this stuff.. What a dumb design!:mad:

So the only way to do this is to remove it all and replace the heaters and grips afterwards?

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Another option would be to pick up an aftermarket 2-piece block. That would go on without moving the grip and handwarmer (the old plastic block can be cut off). As far as the possibility of removing the grip and handwarmer - the grip comes off easy as described above - the handwarmer can be removed very carefully and reinstalled with contact cement. I've done it - its time consuming but possible.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I have thought about the 2 piece block, but I have so many of these stock blocks laying around, it would just be a waste not to use one.. Last time I removed one of these blocks I just cut the grip off, but the warmer was pretty much welded to the bars.. There are still parts of it on the bars I couldnt get off.. I didnt care about those because it was on a junker sled, but I want to keep what I have on this sled intact.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Complete pain the asz. My guess is some attorney type talked them into that design for the throttle but wasn't as convincing with the brake assembly. Makes a guy want to first consider aftermarket risers and keep stock bars. I tried but found I didnt have the patience for the heat gun approach.

On Gen II chasis, I have an aftermarket billet throttle block with aftermarket billet kill switch on fabrcraft bars with installed warrmers and had to splice in wire to lengthen the wires. Stock Edge RMK throttle cable for added length was necessary. Brake assembly was a piece of cake............using stock polaris assembly and extended SLP brakeline.

Kinda of a lot of work for comfy handlebars.

Let me know if you need stock 01 Snow Check Special Gen II bars with factory grips and hand warmers and stock throttle assembly (attached of course). I also have an extra brake assembly. They are just sitting on the shelf in my garage collecting dust.

Last edited:

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I would try this, but the motor is in pieces waiting on its new crank. :)

A heat gun or good hair dryer will work to soften up the glue holding the grip warmer on. After carefully removing the warmer if there is any glue remaing on the handlebar dont wipe it off. It will help hold the warmer when you put it back on.

Premium Features