• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris gas problems?

P
Jan 9, 2014
Ok. I have a 2001 Polaris RMK 800 that I just pick up off a guy for a pretty good deal. When I went to look at it everything was great. I got it home and now it will fire for 1 second then die. I'm not sure what to do. It seems like its not getting gas or something? Also gas is dripping from underneath somewhere. Need help.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Is the fuel turned off? Is it leaking from a fuel line or from the tank?
Pictures would help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

P
Jan 9, 2014
When ever the gas is turned on it drips. If its not on it doesn't drip. Ive talked to some friends recently and they suggest I clean the carbs. So I will tomorrow and see how that goes.

P
Jan 9, 2014
*UPDATE* When I took the carbs out I noticed that the tube on the bottom of one of the carbs had a hole in it. That's why gas was leaking out. So we just cut it where the hole was and put the plug back in. Well it turned out in the end that the tube has to be as long as the other one. So when you rev it up so the clutches will engage it sputters and loses power. We determined that it has to be a certain length. So I will have to buy some new hose and make it the proper size. I cant believe it was something so simple stupid. I ended up cleaning the carbs anyways just because I was already down there. Anyways if anyone has the same problem they should look at those two tubes at the bottom of the carb bowls.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
good job on finding the fuel leak.
those tubes on the carbs are there to catch water and other junk in your fuel.

Make sure you clean your jets and all of the orofices of your carbs.
after you put it back together check the spring in your drive and driven clutches. Also check all of your weights and rollers in the driven clutch. A stuck weight or roller will make the motor and like it has a dead spot. Also check all of the exhaust springs and doughnut gaskets. If they are worn out and leaking it can also cause performance and running issues.

Once you have it running then you can adjust the belt deflection and secondary clutch to the width of the actual belt on the sled. they are numbered as to the specifications. But and I say but, they are all a bit different and need to have the clutch adjusted to each on of them. not alot but the do need some adjusting for best performance.

Premium Features