• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris 800 edge twin pipes

J
Mar 14, 2008
Need some help. I have a 2002 polaris 800 rmk. I have twin pipe setup on it now. Also have all the other goodies like intake, boost bottle, push arms, mtx weights, mountain helix, geared top gear down 19t. What my question is i was haveing a very hard time pulling the rpms in the mountains What would help? I also had a finger track on at the time witch i dont think helped the matter any. Is changeing the track going to help? I am consitering porting the cylinders Would this help any? Have psi dial dome going on too in summer.

weights polaris 10-58, slp black pink spring, slp 44-50/36 mt helix, yellow purple sec. spring 2nd hole (what ever the charts said), r&m mesh hood, elevation 8000-11000, gearing 19-41, 159 2.25 finger track, 420 jets, yellow exhaust valve springs, slp twins need 8300 rpm or so, any help would be nice

Last edited:

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Depending on what pipes your running you should be around 8-8200 rpms. If you're not pulling those r's you'll need to give us more specifics. What elevation you'll be riding at, what "weight" mtx weights, what angles on the helix, jetting, gearing top & bottom.

Typically just changing the track unless you go a lot shorter length/shorter lug height won't change your r's.

Just a little hint you should change 1 thing at a time take notes as what the sled did and how it changed the performance. The setup you have is fairly common so lucky for you there may be someone on here that can tell you exactly where to start.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What RPMs were you pulling? Are you using the stock gauge to read those RPMs and if so have you checked it for accuracy?

Do you know if the pipes are the first generation or second generation pipes? The first generation twins from SLP, only offered in 02, didn't work very well.

What hole is the driven spring in in the helix?

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I think the first set of pipes are the 09-837.

If the gauge is right at 8000rpm I would drop to 56 weights and tighten the driven spring up 1 or even 2 holes.

sled_guy

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
What elevation you riding? I can't remember if the 02s use the same jetting chart as 03s. If they do, Your way to rich. 8-10k with twins on a 03 I have ran as low as 330s in the spring and normally 350s. With twin pipes there very finicky. Also could be dirty exhaust valves or bad valve spring. Let us know your elevation and people will be able to help alot better.

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
What elevation you riding? I can't remember if the 02s use the same jetting chart as 03s. If they do, Your way to rich. 8-10k with twins on a 03 I have ran as low as 330s in the spring and normally 350s. With twin pipes there very finicky. Also could be dirty exhaust valves or bad valve spring. Let us know your elevation and people will be able to help alot better.

02's and 03's had different needle's so the jetting is going to be different.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I was running 340's in my 03 at 5000' @ 40degrees this weekend and running pig fat. Needed 310's but they were missing out of my jet pack! I am running avgas though and ported cylinders.

J
Mar 14, 2008
rideing in 8000-11000 feet charts call for 10-62 for that elevation that is why i am confused at running 10-58 and still not pulling the rpms that i need.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
From personal experience you are never going to pull 62s at 8300RPM at 10,000 feet with that motor. The stock CDI starts clipping timing out above 8200rpm anyway.

How fresh are your clutch springs? SLP's instructions say rpm should be 7800-8100 for the original 02 pipes, sounds like you are pretty well dialed right now. Even the second generation pipes are 8000-8300 which with the stock CDI isn't going to happen.

sled_guy

J
Mar 14, 2008
all springs are less than a year old. About haveing it dialed in i dont think so. I also have a bone stock 1998 700 rmk with a 151 kick my 2002 800's a** the way it is running now. so there is something not right.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
First off if you happen to have cylinders with the compression relief holes you will have trouble at your altitude trying to pull SLPs RPM recommendations with their clutching, the holes lop a couple hundred RPM right off the top.
Pull your exhaust valves and make sure they are travelling the whole way open. I'd target 8-8200 with those pipes. I'd ditch the boost bottle as well they are not needed with the flatslides and tend to leak just find some nice plugs and use hoseclamps. SLPs charts also show staggered jetting, and depending on the temps you are running a little rich since you are jetted for 6-9000 but are running from 8000 and up. How is your piston wash? If you are simply riding through 8000 and going up from there you have a lot of movement. Try 390mag and 380pto with the needles in #2 if you are riding above 40 degrees. Do you have 68gram MTX, if so run them without any rivets, it should pull polaris 10-60s with ease.

As far as porting and the dial a domes, this will not help you solve your problem, you have to solve these issues before you start throwing more changes at it. Porting will do little more than make this more elusive to solve, I would however get a set of SLPs heads for it when you get it all figured out. They will make a difference. The SLP twins are easy to dial in as far as twins go, but you do need to tune them for each ride/temperature swing. I suspect you are jetted way rich for the spring riding conditions and need to experiment in this area as long as everything is fine with the engine.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
id switch to the 43 bottom tooth gear, not sure what chain your runnin but stock works with 19/43. Once you hit your target rpm with those pipes(8200?), any worries of lost track speed should be easily compensated for.
Another thing i would consider is swapping in stock clutching. If it wont pull stock clutching, theres obviously less power, something wrong.

J
Mar 14, 2008
thanks for the advice keep it coming. Well i am going to get a 43 bottom sprocket in a couple of days in process of changeing track. Trying the power claw track out also putting in a holz rolled chain case too.

Premium Features