• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pivot Risers / Extended cables for a Gen III

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Pivot Risers / Extended cables for a Gen II

Does anybody know anyone who makes a pivot riser and perhaps pre-fabbed extended cables for an old Gen II sled?

I think I'm just gonna put some better boards and a tall riser on my 700 and just plan on riding that till the 900 can be fixed or sold :eek:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Powermadd makes one that adapts the flat plate of the GenII post to a pivot style riser.

SLP sells brake and throttle extensions.

You'll have to extend the wires yourself depending on how tall of riser you put on.

sled_guy

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Powermadd makes one that adapts the flat plate of the GenII post to a pivot style riser.

SLP sells brake and throttle extensions.

You'll have to extend the wires yourself depending on how tall of riser you put on.

sled_guy

I've heard that going with extensions on cables is a bad idea .... is there any truth to that? At least thats' what I've read on here from a few people ..

The brake line I wouldn't be worried about ...

Extending wires is simple, even my mechanically declined self can do that one ;)

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
(edit)
The Gen II steering post is WEAK. It will bend pretty easy. If you are going to put a riser on it, get a chromonly riser. I didn't, took out an 8" tree (sheered the sucker off at the ground). Cost me 800 dollars to learn to listen to the guys telling me to get a chromoly riser.

I put a fly 6" riser and adapter on my 01 800.

I went down to the local hydrolic shop and had them fab me up a braided steel break line (5" over stock).

SLP throttle extension.

For the wiring I spliced in 5" of 18 gauge wire. I slipped shrink tube over the wire, then soldered the 2 pieced together. Once I had that done I would let it cool, smeared sylicon over the splice to help water seal it, while that was still wet I pulled the shrink tube over it and put a heat gun on it to shrink the shrink tube and seal the whole mess together.

This setup worked for me for 3 years and 4000 mountain miles.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
(edit)
The Gen II steering post is WEAK. It will bend pretty easy. If you are going to put a riser on it, get a chromonly riser. I didn't, took out an 8" tree (sheered the sucker off at the ground). Cost me 800 dollars to learn to listen to the guys telling me to get a chromoly riser.

I put a fly 6" riser and adapter on my 01 800.

I went down to the local hydrolic shop and had them fab me up a braided steel break line (5" over stock).

SLP throttle extension.

For the wiring I spliced in 5" of 18 gauge wire. I slipped shrink tube over the wire, then soldered the 2 pieced together. Once I had that done I would let it cool, smeared sylicon over the splice to help water seal it, while that was still wet I pulled the shrink tube over it and put a heat gun on it to shrink the shrink tube and seal the whole mess together.

This setup worked for me for 3 years and 4000 mountain miles.

If the steering post is that weak, will the ChroMo riser break first ...?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
When my steering post snapped it was just below the mounting plate at the top. Right where the weld was. You could see it had been cracking over time. The crack had rust in about half of it when I looked at it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
I've got the complete set up for that application.
The cable is a replacement for stock that's longer,
not just an add on extendo thing.

For the steering post, mix up fiberglass resin from the auto parts store,
use just a little less hardener so that it doesn't crack when flexed.
This will make it MUCH stronger. Works well.

The wiring was covered above, I like to use shrink wrap and wire loom to keep it protected and looking nice.

The brake line is a simple replacement as well.

Everything is at www.gravityworxracing.com
check it out and let me know, I'll put together a package deal for you.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Gen II

You can use an edge throttle cable, they are longer than a Gen II. I had plenty of wire on mine with a little re-routing. I went to Lowe's and bought a Husky 10 inch long 3/8 rachet extension for like $10.00. It fits snug down the inside of the gen II post, No epoxy needed. You will need to grind off part of the female end to clear the handle bar adapter. I ran a 6 inch pivot style and never had a probelm. I also bought a piece of steel brake line and flare coupling from NAPA. Screwed it into the caliper and made a couple of bends in it and connected it to the stock brake hose.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
You can use an edge throttle cable, they are longer than a Gen II.

Edge had rack carbs, his 99 Gen 2 has Kehein carbs.
2 different cables entirely.

The NAPA brake line trick does work, It's just not as clean as a fully braided brake line top to bottom or pre-fitted.
It will save you some money though, so it really just depends on which method you like better, or what you want to do with it.
Check your length on that first too.
The 99 had the black rubber lines and they were actually longer than the newer lines on the Edge chassis.
You might actually be lucky with just a re-route.

R

Raising Kane

Dec 17, 2007
Helena, Mt
Gen II

I replaced my post maybe 1-2 rides before it broke , and would highly recomend replacement before adding any height to the bars. I got a hold of Wildchild on here and he builds a really nice product that is chromo and expoxy filled . The post he made for me is 2" taller than stock and I put 4" fly dogbones on top of it. Its still rock solid ... even after my patiented " just roll it once technic" . Breakline anyone and their brother makes one as far as throttle extention, I just went with the powermadd. It works great for me 2 years lots of miles.

xcrash911

Lifetime Membership
If your not going to replace the post I would definitly at least go the epoxy route like SD stated. As far as throttle cables go you wil not be happy with the powermadd extension, go with the new extended line from Gravityworx.

If you do go with a replacement post wildchild on the 4m is the way to go, and he can make the top a t-top so that you don't need a pivot adaptor

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
where do you but the epoxy at?

here

For the steering post, mix up fiberglass resin from the auto parts store,
use just a little less hardener so that it doesn't crack when flexed.
This will make it MUCH stronger. Works well.

That being said though.
The wild child post is the better way to go if you want to put the money and time into it.
Other wise this is a cheap way around it.

B
Aug 19, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
Does anybody know anyone who makes a pivot riser and perhaps pre-fabbed extended cables for an old Gen II sled?

I think I'm just gonna put some better boards and a tall riser on my 700 and just plan on riding that till the 900 can be fixed or sold :eek:
Thank you for posting this message, I just placed a 3" pivot riser on my GENII. My first ride out came down hard on the left side and bent my post, cracked the bottom brackets of the riser, and bent my bar. I just wish I would have known this information sooner, but now I know what to do.

Premium Features