• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Picking out a new sled!

F
Jan 8, 2008
Plainfield,IL
So i'm finally going to upgrade my sled to something new. I currently have a XCSP 800 stretched to a 136 with clutch, gearing and air box mods. Runs great and I have had lots of fun with it. Have to say it has been a problem free sled might have to keep it as a spare. I'm stuck trying to decide between two sleds to purchase. I live in Illinois and ride a little around here. My trips are usually to Michigan or Wisconsin for a mix of trail and off trail riding. Mostly off trail if possible. I'm heading to Steamboat this winter for a week of riding so I need a sled I can use both there and at home. If things go as planned I will head to Steamboat once a year. It has been a while since I was there with my sled and had a blast which was a 121 at the time. The two sleds I'm looking at are a 2012 Polaris 800 Switchback Assault 144 and 2012 Polaris 800 PRO-RMK 155. I'm dead set on going with an 800 motor. If they would have made and PRO-RMK 144 with an 800 it would be the answer to my problems. Since they don't I can't decide with to go with. How bad would the 155 be trail riding? I know it won't be a corner carver which I could care less about. What about low snow conditions which happen when you don't expect it? Now if I take the 144 with the 1.34 track to Steamboat how much will I hate it? I want to play in the trees, open fields, and do some climbing. Would it be better to put an 2" track on it (not sure if one would fit on it)? Really don't want to spend the days digging myself out. I have read a few posts on here but ended up even more confused. So hopefully some one has gone through this. Now if I had unlimited funds I would buy the 144 and 155 and be done with it. Any input would be appreciated good and bad.
Thanks,
T.R.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
So i'm finally going to upgrade my sled to something new. I currently have a XCSP 800 stretched to a 136 with clutch, gearing and air box mods. Runs great and I have had lots of fun with it. Have to say it has been a problem free sled might have to keep it as a spare. I'm stuck trying to decide between two sleds to purchase. I live in Illinois and ride a little around here. My trips are usually to Michigan or Wisconsin for a mix of trail and off trail riding. Mostly off trail if possible. I'm heading to Steamboat this winter for a week of riding so I need a sled I can use both there and at home. If things go as planned I will head to Steamboat once a year. It has been a while since I was there with my sled and had a blast which was a 121 at the time. The two sleds I'm looking at are a 2012 Polaris 800 Switchback Assault 144 and 2012 Polaris 800 PRO-RMK 155. I'm dead set on going with an 800 motor. If they would have made and PRO-RMK 144 with an 800 it would be the answer to my problems. Since they don't I can't decide with to go with. How bad would the 155 be trail riding? I know it won't be a corner carver which I could care less about. What about low snow conditions which happen when you don't expect it? Now if I take the 144 with the 1.34 track to Steamboat how much will I hate it? I want to play in the trees, open fields, and do some climbing. Would it be better to put an 2" track on it (not sure if one would fit on it)? Really don't want to spend the days digging myself out. I have read a few posts on here but ended up even more confused. So hopefully some one has gone through this. Now if I had unlimited funds I would buy the 144 and 155 and be done with it. Any input would be appreciated good and bad.
Thanks,
T.R.

You will love the SBA 144. I bought one last year and put ~1100 miles on it trouble free. Lots of info on it in this forum and "the other" forum.

I needed another sled and went the way of a mountain sled rather than trail. I snow checked 155 Assault to complement my SBA. I don't think I'll use the 155 much in MN unless I get way up north. I'll use the SBA mostly in MN. I've got the 2" track. Need scratchers down though on the trail. Cobra is a great track too!

Premium Features