• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer approach angle

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Recently aquired a 2007 Mountain Phazer and am curious as to what folks are doing to improve the track's approach angle. I thought I had read some threads, a few months ago, on what different people are doing but my search isn't turning up what I had hoped. Besides a different track it looks like sliding the suspension back several inches would improve the deep snow handling of the sled. How far are people setting it back and what are they useing for rear, relocated hangers? Unfortunitly, I haven't had a chance to ride it, yet, and our snow is leaving rapidly. I hope to get in a couple of rides before I call it quits for the season. Needs to quit raining, though. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
In order to move the skid back you need more track.. I believe that some have also installed bigger drivers.
There are companies that sell different rails as well (Ice Age, Timbersled, ?)

The deep snow isn't really a problem on the PZ until you point it up hill. Then the 80hp is noticable.

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
just put 151 on it and ride the piss out of it and stay away form them maverick tracks there are junk it will make a differents

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
I am thinking of a 151" challenger or possibly a Polaris 156" type 4 track. Just curious on how far to slide the skid back to improve the approach angle.
Also, what is everybody using for clutch adjustments with the longer track? Any other info would be great.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Phazer 153

We installed a 153 from a M-8. Sled the skid back 3 inches and went with 8 tooth drivers and eight inch rear wheels. Made a huge improvement. Search for " Phazer 153 " and you should find pics of this. We did have to weld some plates on the rear mounts to reinstall the rear of the skid. Ditto on ditching the stock maverick track... Dino

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
We installed a 153 from a M-8. Sled the skid back 3 inches and went with 8 tooth drivers and eight inch rear wheels. Made a huge improvement. Search for " Phazer 153 " and you should find pics of this. We did have to weld some plates on the rear mounts to reinstall the rear of the skid. Ditto on ditching the stock maverick track... Dino

Finally found your Post. If you have a minute, could you take a few closer pictures of the rear hangar and bracket? It appears that you moved it back and drilled a new hole, just like up front. I am curious about moving it straight back and developing a new bracket/plate to bolt the rear pivot to. What is your opinion of your update now that you have ridden for awhile? What changes would you make? What changes have you made to your gearing and clutching?
thanks

Premium Features