• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheating newby please help!!

R
Nov 26, 2013
So my first ride out on my new to me sled and we get ohhh maybe 2 miles from the truck and my 05 rmk 900 overheats spews coolant out the bottle and shuts down on its own?? I knew the radiater cap was kinda stripped when I bought it and took the chance anyways. ok rookie mistake. well I felt the heat exchanger on the back of the sled and it was ice cold. Like ice crystals forming on it. Is the lack of pressure in the system not allowing flow or could it be the thermostat like ive read is very common?? also my buddys exchanger was warm/hot to the touch so im assuming mine shoulda been as well.

ive read about this radiater delete thing as well. I don't see any radiater lookin think under the hood and it does have what I think is an slp intake.

am getting a new coolant bottle as I write this and just wondering if Im on the right track or do I assume the water pump is bad??

Have scratchers it was 7degrees this morning when I was rididng and I was on a road but didn't let it warm up much

so confused rookie

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Welcome to the forum. Start reading

Sounds like you have air in the coolant system, you need to elevates the front end (pull on trailer and leave back end on ground) this will use gravity to push the coolant back into the rear cooler and back around to the front.

It may take several attempts get all the air out, it's a pain...just keep adding coolant, watch temp, let sit, bleed air from coolant bottle, and bleed air from thermostat housing. (May need new thermostat as well while your at it)...repeat till the rear cooler heats up to touch within few mins...give it a shirt ride, check coolant bottle, add if needed. Until your comfortable all air is out.

If you have an SLP intake, you don't have a radiator...if you a radiator..get rid of it...it's junk...You will know if you have it installed still or not. Follow the line off the head, if it goes into a T it's either looped or the radiator is installed. Read the thread on removing and blocking line off bottle and NOT looping the hoses, get a straight union and your money.

Good luck...get a membership if you can...it's not fair for us to give away info non stop to people that refuse to pay so they can read all the threads...we created this forum and all of its info, if you wanna play, you need to pay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Exactly...... and double check hose routing,SLP kit came with a restrictor for rad hose junk it and route hoses properly.
Good Luck and spend some money on a membership..it has its rewards!!

Premium Features