• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil... What two stroke oil works the best and keeps the power valves the cleanest?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What two stroke oil do the M800 and M1000 seem to like best?

Is there an oil that seems to not leave as much gunk on the power valves?

What about this new "Legend" oil I just read about?

Blue Marble???

Amsoil???

So, what have you learned regarding oil?

Recommendations?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Legend is not new oil, it is however, EXCELLENT... and is mineral oil by the way...

imho, after years of synthetics and semi-syn and mineral, when it comes to long term protection I'll take mineral everytime... valves get dirty?? BFD, takes a few minutes to clean 'em... lose a crank? well, its pretty obvious that oil is cheaper than metal so.... I've lost two crank bearings while running amsoil interceptor, my crank guy asked what oil I was running and told me to look for something else cuz the amsoil wasn't leaving a good film on things...

now, expressing like/dislike for any particular oil brand is likely to result in a Jihad of some type... but spending my own money I'd get the legend, injex pro (if you can find it), or yamalube (very good oil imho)

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
Legend is not new oil, it is however, EXCELLENT... and is mineral oil by the way...

imho, after years of synthetics and semi-syn and mineral, when it comes to long term protection I'll take mineral everytime... valves get dirty?? BFD, takes a few minutes to clean 'em... lose a crank? well, its pretty obvious that oil is cheaper than metal so.... I've lost two crank bearings while running amsoil interceptor, my crank guy asked what oil I was running and told me to look for something else cuz the amsoil wasn't leaving a good film on things...

now, expressing like/dislike for any particular oil brand is likely to result in a Jihad of some type... but spending my own money I'd get the legend, injex pro (if you can find it), or yamalube (very good oil imho)

Amsoil is not to blame for your crank bearings (unless they pulled a sample and found for some reason it didnt meet the standard) was that a arctic cat or a ski doo. Amsoil beats every standard known to man and it is againt the law for a manufacturer or a dealer to forbide you to run it for warranty reasons as long as it meets the standard put forth. Amsoil intercepter is one of the best two stroke oils on earth. I have ran amsoil in trucks, cars, bikes and sleds for years never had a problem. Amsoil all the way.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Amsoil is not to blame for your crank bearings (unless they pulled a sample and found for some reason it didnt meet the standard) was that a arctic cat or a ski doo. Amsoil beats every standard known to man and it is againt the law for a manufacturer or a dealer to forbide you to run it for warranty reasons as long as it meets the standard put forth. Amsoil intercepter is one of the best two stroke oils on earth. I have ran amsoil in trucks, cars, bikes and sleds for years never had a problem. Amsoil all the way.

dude, its just coincidental, my experience, all i know is I lost two crank bearings in two seasons after switching to interceptor, didn't have those problems on the amsoil2000 prior to that... and don't spit the marketing crap back to me, my brother is a distributor for the stuff, has been for about 8yrs now, i've heard all... all i said is i've had less problems with other brands... i don't care about warranty crap and the moss-magnuson rules... just my experiences with it...

take note frostbite, this is the Jihad I spoke of... speak ill of any brand and you're a basher and no nothing about it, yadda yadda... for some STUPID reason people get all defensive about oils... imho, if it meets the standard required by your sled, run it, none of them are bad and none of them offer any significant advantage over the others...

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
dude, its just coincidental, my experience, all i know is I lost two crank bearings in two seasons after switching to interceptor, didn't have those problems on the amsoil2000 prior to that... and don't spit the marketing crap back to me, my brother is a distributor for the stuff, has been for about 8yrs now, i've heard all... all i said is i've had less problems with other brands... i don't care about warranty crap and the moss-magnuson rules... just my experiences with it...

take note frostbite, this is the Jihad I spoke of... speak ill of any brand and you're a basher and no nothing about it, yadda yadda... for some STUPID reason people get all defensive about oils... imho, if it meets the standard required by your sled, run it, none of them are bad and none of them offer any significant advantage over the others...

Well other then a simple Coincidence thats all you can say is to not run a good quality oil in fact you are you are brand bashing if you had actual proof that the oil caused your failure then you might actually be a reputiable source on this subject. How about this you owned a reputable company and somone with a coincidence was turning away potential costumers i think you would be very mad. If you have a bad crank bearing which there are a few i dont care what oil you run its going to fail period.

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
no jihad here amsoil is a good quality oil i would recomend it keeps powervalves clean have had great results with it in two m sleds with 4000 miles even after being told by the selling dealer not to run it.

M
Dec 6, 2008
Polaris ves gold has worked great for me 3500 miles and I havent gunked up a powervalve with only one one cleaning 1500 miles ago. Plus it doesnt burn the eyes and lungs like arctic cat oil and smells good.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
ohh ya well this is better than that and so on... its all just a bunch of mubojumbo IMO..

Amsoil.... people use it everyday and dont have any problems... Did I have problems with it.. YES... I will never ran that crap in my life again.. there has been many indepent tests done to prove which oil is better than which.. all have different findings.. but most of the did find amsoil to be toward the mid/bottom of the list as far as protection is concerned..

I havent ran the legend yet.. mainly because nobody around here carry's it.. but have only heard good things about it..

Personally I think klotz is the only way to go.. run it in everything i own sled, mower, ice auger, bikes, ect..

Its all comes down to what you want to run..

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yikes, I thought this might happen.

I too burned down two engines (one Skidoo, one Yamaha) on Amsoil. I love the idea of the stuff but, with Klotz and Torco I had no issues.

Now I have swapped to nothing but Blue Marble (Go ahead and laugh it's another mineral oil) but, I'm not sure if any of you Arctic Cat fellows have tried it in the Suzuki motors?

I would assume it would work fine but, like Amsoil there's always some guy who burned a sled (or a weed whacker) down while using the stuff.

I hope not but, I'm afraid this could get a bit ugly

W
Jan 2, 2008
can someone throw up a linky to this legend oil?

nm think I mighta found it
http://www.legendperformance.com/products_zx2sr.asp

ZX-2SR_Web_Photo2.jpg

Last edited:
B
Jan 17, 2008
Does this help ?

I have been a $$$Red Line "Racing" 2 Stroke oil$$$$ user and know for a fact the oil has saved my engine more than once. I have had goods experience using IPONE 2 stroke oils in dirt track sprint cars (2 stokes) but have had poor luck with it in a sled. Phillips 66 syenthitic is good for my wifes sled, kids sled & loaner. Fairly cheap and power valves are not an issue in 2000 miles +....
I was givin this info from another fellow sledder who is wiser than myself because it is his info that he was kind enough to share with me.

ISO-EGD & Jaso FD are the highest certifications 2 stroke oils can achieve, neither Redline nor Amsoil Intercepter meet those certifacations, Amsoil Dominator does however.

Many oils do meet it: Klotz, Arctic Blue, Legend, to name a few.
Here's a chart with explainations of the types, pay attention to the last paragraph on oils

Specifications for Two Stroke Oil

NMMA TC-W3 – two cycle water-cooled, third generation. TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII. Oils with this spec do not use metal based additives, and are ashless. This is an outboard specific spec.

API TC – only API spec established for two cycle engines. It regulates lubricity, detergency, ash content & pre-ignition. Oils with this spec are typically using metal based, ash producing additives.

JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.

JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.

JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

ISO-L-EGB – same tests and requirements as JASO FB.

ISO-L-EGC – same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC.

ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD.

• National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is based in the USA.
• American Petroleum Institute (API) is based in the USA.
• Japanese Automobile Standards Organization (JASO) is based in Japan.
• International Standards Organization (ISO) is based in Europe.

These specs are established by different governing bodies located in various parts of the world. They all serve the same purpose; to give consumers a quantifiable way to measure the quality of 2 stroke oil.

What does all this mean for your snowmobile, dirt bike or PWC?
Most OEM 2 stroke oils fall in either the JASO FB/ISO-L-EGB (Good) or JASO FC/ISO-L-EGC/API TC (Better) category, although the container and the owners manual will never actually list an oil spec. OEM’s prefer just to recommend their private label product and tell you there is no known equivalent. It is easy not to have a “known” equivalent if you do not look for one.

The toughest spec currently obtainable for two stroke oil is JASO FD/ISO-L-EGD. Any oil listing an JASO FD/ISO-L-EGD rating is preferred for a snowmobile, dirt bike or PWC. Common sense should tell you, using an oil (including OEM oil) that does not list a rating usually means it does not obtain these ratings, otherwise why would they not want to list on their product.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
I get so sick of reading. this thing or stuff is crap this thing or stuff is the bomb and all i will ever run FOREVER. But nobody ever says why.

go get ANY synthetic oil, run it a a reasonable ratio, with decent fuel. all the clean power valves and high performance is bull$h1t you have to burn what you put in. If your running in deep powder and starving a bit for air you might get some buildup, if your -20 and clear you might burn that buildup away....

My 700 cat runs perfect on amsoil, my 900 carb is jetted a bit fat and the valves get dirty.

Really when was the last time someones crap blew up or died and they could point at the oil and say that was the cause. very damn rarley IMHO.

most likely you can point to some mod or inferior rebuild....

just my Rant.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Blue Marble

I have run Blue Marble for years with very good luck and my exhaust valves are always clean-very little build up. Any other opinions out there regarding Blue Marble?? Thanks:beer;:beer;

Premium Features